Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Reds and one very upset set of spectators

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Default Re: 2 Reds and one very upset set of spectators

Just because other sports culture involves challenging decisions and swearing doesn't mean we have to tolerate it.
    As my son moved through age groups I refereed many rugby and soccer games.
    You'd be amazed how well kids know how far they can go in either game and adapt pretty quickly.
    I remember watching an u16 soccer game where one of my sons colleagues was ranting and raving at every decision. After the match I said to him you were lucky that wasn't rugby or you'd be sent off. He says I know but this is soccer and you can get away with it with a big grin on his face.
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    TRU
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: 2 Reds and one very upset set of spectators

I've given 2 reds in a game twice so far this year (4 rounds in). One in my first seniors match (a stomping report from my AR and a captain abusing me) and the last two this weekend gone, the state U18 GF replay. I felt the game was played mostly in decent spirits apart from one of the players taking out his frustration on another by dragging him out of a ruck and punching him while prone and the other RC was a tip/dump tackle where the BC landed on his head.

I agree that they way you approach the players at U18 is pretty important, its half ref, half big brother here, so I will be authoritarian when required and voice of wisdom to the players at other times.

Thread Information