Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size and weight bands for youth Rugby?

Probationer Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1

Default Size and weight bands for youth Rugby?

As a youth coach, I'm in favour of size and weight bands replacing age bands. In youth there is huge variation in size and weight, with larger players able to dominate some games.

In my view is we played in SW bands, then all things being equal this would promote skill and game management over size advantage.

Its not good for big players who develop early to base their games on their size, likewise its not good for smaller players feeling they can't compete.

As coaches i'm sure we all try to skill up our players, but playing in size bands would force clubs to focus on skills and game management to win games.

Once they get over 18 then this dropped.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Size and weight bands for youth Rugby?

they have that in NZ, but it's not all good - it has undesirable consequences.

firstly - weigh-in is once or twice a season (it can't be every game for obvious reason) youngsters can be encouraged/incentivised to sweat off kilos of water to make the grade

secondly being sorted reigidly fatties / thinnies makes kids very body/weight/fat conscious which is not goo

thirdly a kid who is fat is separated from his friends and told to play with the older lot

fourthly : rugby isn't just about size. just because someone is big/small doesn't mean they will work better moving up/down

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

Given the RFU mission statements and inclusiveness focus, and the oft quoted "A Game for all shapes and sizes" I see little prospect of any such scheme in England.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

Hocpoc, it is an idea with considerable merit - not least because we've all encountered the "team" whose only game plan is to give it to Big Hamish and watch him carry eight oppo over the line. Against it, though, are the points raised above.

When a young player joins a rugby club, (s)he will often do so because friends also play there. That forms a glue, often holding an age group together. But if kids from the same school year are distributed over several size/weight bands, there is little cohesion. The older players resent the immature, fairly useless (but heavy!) younger kid thrust into their midst, and ostracise him/her. The older kid forced to play down a weight because, though of county standard in his proper age group, he's a tricksy, dinky little #9 gets nothing at all out of being forced into the team with younger, lighter players.

As Simon Thomas says, I see little prospect of the RFU travelling that road. They've preferred to adopt age group rules that put the emphasis on a more dynamic game. It remains to be seen whether that will work well, but it needs to be given time to test it out.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

the RFU also considers that much rugby is played at school, and having kids play out of school year is even more problematic for a school than it is for a club.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

HocPoc
    Its not perfect as it is.

Don't forget big lads CAN move up an Age Grade currently if they :he/she, parents, coach, teacher, and.... safety permit it. In some cases Safety should require it !!!

Yet despite this, it rarely happens (least not below 15) for a variety of reasons, mostly all covered.

Different genetic/migration issues have grown in other parts of the world, hense their SW preference.

Referees in Canada

Soc/Assoc
    Michigan, Ontario
    Grade
    B2

Quote Originally Posted by Hocpoc View Post
    As a youth coach, I'm in favour of size and weight bands replacing age bands. In youth there is huge variation in size and weight, with larger players able to dominate some games.

In my view is we played in SW bands, then all things being equal this would promote skill and game management over size advantage.

Its not good for big players who develop early to base their games on their size, likewise its not good for smaller players feeling they can't compete.

As coaches i'm sure we all try to skill up our players, but playing in size bands would force clubs to focus on skills and game management to win games.

Once they get over 18 then this dropped.
    first off...good luck bringing up anything out of the ordinary or new on this forum; what was the fabled story about how led zeppelin got the name?

I like the idea and I think it has a lot of merit. gridiron uses weight at youth levels (my 9 year old has to play flag football due to his weight being too low to handle contact) and it is very effective.

a side note - ontario used to use u19 scrum law for uni comp. the clubs would basically put flankers at prop. this is the same type thing - but in reverse. so the 18 year old heavy kid that played age grade was forever a prop...at weight limits maybe he could have developed other skills and could have been able to handle the law issues between uni play and senior side play.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

weight grades aren't really new or out of the ordinary. Anyone invovled with age-grade rugby has seen game dominated by a giant and pondered this question.
    and it has obvious attractions.
    my post was really to say that it's not as simple as first seems
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10570063

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by ddjamo View Post
    first off...good luck bringing up anything out of the ordinary or new on this forum; what was the fabled story about how led zeppelin got the name?
    It is not new to this forum.

I like the idea and I think it has a lot of merit. gridiron uses weight at youth levels (my 9 year old has to play flag football due to his weight being too low to handle contact) and it is very effective.
    When I Lived near Washington, the Beltway League (gridiron football) had weight grades. There was a major scandal when it was discovered that some coaches were giving their kids diet pills etc to keep their weight down.

Neither system is perfect, but at least you cannot easily fake an age.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ddjamo View Post
    I never realised that getting thin made you cynical?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Thread Information