Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: U19 Scrum formation - Questions

Referees in Singapore

Soc/Assoc
    Singapore Society of Rugby Union Referees (SSRUR)
    Grade
    IRB Level 2

Default U19 Scrum formation - Questions

Guys and Gals,

I've highlighted in the U19 Law variation below the points which make me wonder how to manage the situation when one team is down to 14.
    Example: Blue vs. Red. Red forward yellow carded. Next scrum

20.1 Forming a scrum

(e) In an 8 person scrum the formation must be 3-4-1, with the single player (normally the Number 8) shoving on the 2 locks. The locks must pack with their heads on either side of the hooker.

Exception: A team must have fewer than eight players in its scrum when the team cannot field eight suitably trained players in its scrum due to either the team not fielding a complete team, or a forward player being sent off or temporarily suspended for foul play, or a forward player leaving the field because of injury.

Even allowing for this exception, each team must always have at least five players in a scrum.

If a team is incomplete and it cannot field eight suitably trained players in its scrum, the scrum formation must be as follows:

If a team is without one forward player, then both teams must use a 3-4 formation (i.e. no No.8).

If a team is without two forward players, then both teams must use a 3-2-1 formation (i.e. no flankers).

If a team is without three forward players, then both teams must use a 3-2 formation (i.e. only front rows and locks).

When a normal scrum takes place, the players in the three front row positions and the two lock positions must have been suitably trained for these positions.

If a team cannot field such suitably trained players because:

either they are not available, or

a player in one of those five positions is injured or

has been sent off for Foul Play and no suitably trained replacement is available, then the referee must order uncontested scrums.

In an uncontested scrum, the teams do not compete for the ball. The team putting in the ball must win it. Neither team is allowed to push the other team away from the mark.

Question 1: Yellow carded Red is a suitably trained Lock.
    Must the referee ask Red to fill up the scrum with 8 people by either:
    - Bringing a back into back-row and a back-row into lock (if suitably trained)
    or
    - Bringing a temporary replacement for a lock position (if possible)

Question 2: Yellow Carded Red is a back-row
    - Must the referee ask Red to fill up the scrum with 8 players (bringing a back in)
    or
    - Shall he go ahead with a 7 men-scrum?

Question 3: In the scenario above, if we go ahead with 7 men-scrum:
    - Red scrum: They put 7 --> Blue must put 7 (and have a back-row going in the line) --> I believe I'm correct here
    - Blue Scrum: Can blue put 8 and ask Red to match their number?

Cheers,
    Pierre.
    Rule #1: If the law doesn't forbid it, it's allowed.
    Rule #2: If it ain't in the Law Book, don't make it up.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

We have discussed this many times before!
    The answer that is generally accepted, by coaches and referees alike, is that if you YC a lock, then the game proceed with 7v7 in the scrum.

However if you YC a red lock and red then make a substitution and bring on a new lock , then opinions differ: some referees would now play 8v8 in the scrums, others would enforce 7v7. Take your choice..

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3

Default Re: U19 Scrum formation - Questions

Interesting one. I'd go for allowing 8v8 if a back is taken off for a STE forward replacement.

That in itself raises a question does that count as a temporary sub (as per FR in full laws after a YC) or permanent replacement?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

In england youth games are generally played with unlimited interchanges.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3

That solve that one fro you nicely. Sadly not for us. Will ask at the next meeting.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    The answer that is generally accepted, by coaches and referees alike, is that if you YC a lock, then the game proceed with 7v7 in the scrum.
    ......with both teams dropping their #8, so as to maintain equal balance in the scrum (i.e. they can't drop a flanker and keep the #8).

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

If the scrum is reduced to 7v7 then the formation is 3-4 but it is up to the teams to determine who plays. Is that what you meant?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

It's complicated as the u19 variations specify that players playing as locks should be STE for that position.

Basically if you YC an STE player, and the team subsequently do a substitution to bring on a fresh STE player, the question is who are they allowed to take off? Must they take off a forward and play 7 in scrum? Or must they take off a back and play 8 in scrum.. Or can they choose...

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    It's complicated as the u19 variations specify that players playing as locks should be STE for that position.
    Indeed. And that raises the interesting (and wholly unaddressed!) question of what training and experience is considered suitable for a lock forward? I find it hard to imagine - perhaps Phil E can give us a clue. I thought the main risk for a lock was oxygen depletion at rarefied atmospheres.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Bend over and push!!

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Thread Information