Thread: Referee knows everyone by name

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU

Default Re: Referee knows everyone by name

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    I have a reverse issue. My name is relatively unusual so I regulary get players calling me Ciaran during the game.
    Having reffed and played against the same teams for 30 years, they do get to know you.
    I do not have a problem with this And i do not want to pedantic and insist that the call me ref or sir.
    I do tell visiting teams from out of the county that they will hear people talking to me by name bit to be fair even the teams from out of the county often do as I've reffed at this level for a number of years.
    Any thoughts on this?
    If you are happy with it, then work away, I prefer ref or sir, recently I had a player refer to me by name late in the 2nd half, I didnt want the other team to think that he "had my ear" so I politely asked him to stop.

Its fine if both teams know you, but the "outsider" team may feel agrieved.
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

The teams around here know that it's "sir" between the lines, Simon outside them
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

I don't mind what the players call me as long as the tone is respectful, obviously within reason, however if someone comes up and calls me by my name I am not going to reply with "it's ref or sir" as that is just the height of pedantry IMO.

If I know the player by name and I want to convey a message at downtime I might use their name, especially as after 6 years of refereeing and 3-4 at the 1st grade level you tend to learn everyone's names.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    The teams around here know that it's "sir" between the lines, Simon outside them
    ... and "that Pommie p***k" when you're out of earshot?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Yorkshire (South)
    Grade
    5 (Division North)

I have been known to use a player's name in-play. I've found "Chris release" works better than "6 blue release".

Probably not compatible with L5 protocol though.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

I did once dismiss a South African player for calling me a "****in Engelsman"

I mean. Englishman. Straight red sunshine.

When I'm working with Captains, I try to use first names when I'm at the early stages of managing issues. "Eric, get your guys to stay on their feet... Chris, lets's work on the backs staying onside"

Then, if I have to resort to "Red captain" or "black captain" they know immediately that Something Bad has happened, and they'll react appropriately.

It may not work for everyone, but I find it helps as a management tool.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Gloucester & District / RFU
    Grade
    PGMOT AR

At captains brief I say "Chris, Bob (whatever..) my name is Peter. If something happens in the game that demands my immediate attention such as a serious injury shout PETER. I will react far quicker than to a shout of SIR. Don't abuse it but if you need to, use my name" Never had anyone take the mick by calling me Pete all game. I say a similar thing to physios "Clare, if somebody is SERIOUSLY injured and you need me to stop the game shout "Peter stop the game" and as soon as I can I will"

Not sure I would want to be spoken to by my name as a matter of course during a game, and they don't although I think quite a lot know it......

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Brisbane Rugby League Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Accylad View Post
    At captains brief I say "Chris, Bob (whatever..) my name is Peter. If something happens in the game that demands my immediate attention such as a serious injury shout PETER. I will react far quicker than to a shout of SIR. Don't abuse it but if you need to, use my name" Never had anyone take the mick by calling me Pete all game. I say a similar thing to physios "Clare, if somebody is SERIOUSLY injured and you need me to stop the game shout "Peter stop the game" and as soon as I can I will"

Not sure I would want to be spoken to by my name as a matter of course during a game, and they don't although I think quite a lot know it......
    What's longer - the pre-match brief or the game?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I don't agree with this, respect has to work both ways.

On the pitch I want the captains to call me 'Sir', so I will call them 'Captain'.
    IMO, calling a captain by his first name, but expecting him to call me 'Sir' is treating him like a school boy

In the bar after the game, of course, it's different - first names in both directions.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    I did once dismiss a South African player for calling me a "****in Engelsman"

I mean. Englishman. Straight red sunshine.

When I'm working with Captains, I try to use first names when I'm at the early stages of managing issues. "Eric, get your guys to stay on their feet... Chris, lets's work on the backs staying onside"

Then, if I have to resort to "Red captain" or "black captain" they know immediately that Something Bad has happened, and they'll react appropriately.

It may not work for everyone, but I find it helps as a management tool.
    I do the same, and occasionally will use there nickname if that is how they introduce themselves. Although, it was a bit disheartening when the captain introduced himself as "Loco".

Thread Information