Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uncontested Scrum at U15, Girls, Can the No 8 Pick Up?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 8 and Advisor

Default Uncontested Scrum at U15, Girls, Can the No 8 Pick Up?

I reffed an U15 Girls game on Sunday, and read up the regs the night before.

During the game the scrums went uncontested. One team began using No 8 Pick ups, the other coach button holed me and said you're not allowed to pick up at No 8 from uncontested scrum.

As I had seen nothing confirming this in the regs the night before I politely ignored her interpretation.

Can anyone throw any light on this? Was I right, and its another myth?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Uncontested Scrum at U15, Girls, Can the No 9 Pick Up?

it's a common myth -- at all levels of rugby -- and you were quite right: the #8 can pick up. (make sure they stay bound properly until they do so, though...)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Another myth.
    You were right.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade

Always a good one this and one I have got wrong in the past. Why is it at all age groups and adult rugby they think as soon as it is uncontested they cant pick up?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Because some refs think so. :-(
    So it is always worth asking

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by JJ10 View Post
    Always a good one this and one I have got wrong in the past. Why is it at all age groups and adult rugby they think as soon as it is uncontested they cant pick up?
    I can hazard a guess ...... Distant memory says that one introductory level (u9? u10?? ) no8s werent allowed to pick the ball up , its possible that at the same age the scrums were uncontested??? & Hense the 'age specific' reg gets life into a coaching group & that group metamorph into referees ....... ?

Just a theory.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer

A common myth and a typical example of a self-appointed expert, who are often coaches with no refereeing qualification.

I refereed both the Hampshire U15 and U18 Girls County sides four or five seasons ago, in support of the growth of the Game in that demographic. I had previously been highly supportive of my daughter's rugby career as an U18 and adult at all levels.

the two age-group matches were on the same day same venue one after the other and all I had were coaches and parents telling me what I could or could not do or special Law interpretations before the match, during the match, and after the match. At the time I was a Level 7 referee, Chairman of the Society, and very active with the RFU Referees Dept.

I had read the RFUW documentation about U15 and U18 Girls rugby and was very aware of requirements.

I have not refereed an U15 or U18 Girls match since.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 8 and Advisor

A link to the RFU Regs pages might be winging its way to Oxfordshire

But sheeez, if I can find the regs for my one off involvement, can't the coaches do the same. Its like teaching your players all the laws except 17, 15 and 9 because you haven't found out what they are.

In fact...rant beginning here... when I get a junior appointment I will first confirm the coaches have read and coached to the age grade variations.

PS Simon I am in your neck of the woods tomorrow reffing an out and out friendly at Wide Lane, or given its hydrophobic tendencies, Trojans if there is anything damper than a light dew.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    National Panel

Interesting , at the south west festival at frome this year the festival rule was no 8 pick up at u15 level. Maybe that is where th confusion lies x
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Interesting , at the south west festival at frome this year the festival rule was no 8 pick up at u15 level. Maybe that is where th confusion lies x
    I hate festival-speecific rules.
    - there is always a number of referees who weren't at the brieifing / weren't listening and are not aware of the rule, so mistakes are made
    - there are always a number of coaches who weren't at the briefing / didn't read the hand outs and are not aware of the rule, who get steamed up
    - there are always a number of 14 year old players who were not told about today's special rule and unintentionally break it and concede a gotcha PK that really isn't fair for children who are doing their best, playing to the Laws that apply every other Sunday that season.

Why do festival organisers think that - on the fly - they can invent better Laws for an age group than the Laws in the book?
    How do they think that their special made-up Laws can ever be consistently understood and applied?

Just play the game, with the proper Laws, that are in the Law book.

(plus there is always an agenda: show me a festival organiser who thinks the U15 game is better without pick ups, I'll show you an coach of an u15 team who have great wings and outside centres, but a rubbish back-row...)
    Last edited by crossref; 11-11-14 at 09:11.

Thread Information