Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick tap penalty

Probationer Member

Soc/Assoc
    affiliated irfu
    Grade
    Level 1

Default quick tap penalty

Hi there, just recently began refereeing in my local club. I had, what I thought was a very good understanding of the rules from playing and some coaching, but it appears all those watching the games I have reffed know a lot more about everything than me!! Anyway I was involved in a youths match over the weekend where I penalised 'team a' for offside at ruck and team b took a quick tap and go,team a had attempted to retreat in good time and team b took ball into contact after approx 6 - 7 meters, does this automatically entitle team b to another penalty 10 m form original mark or as someone had suggested to me afterwards, because team a had attempted to retreat and team b travelled more than 5 m before contact with team a, this was play on? I actually allowed play to continue as team b retained the ball and recycled?? I would appreciate some direction on this, thanks!!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    North Yorkshire
    Grade

Default Re: quick tap penalty

Newref there are several possible answers here.
    1 If team B player ran into the retreating team A player it is play on as he initiated contact.
    2 If the Team A player who tackled the ball carrier came from 10 metres back and ran forward to tackle, again play on.
    3 If one of team A players who was not 10 metres moved forward to tackle the ball carrier, then a 10 metre advance is correct

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&W
    Grade
    RFU 9

Firstly welcome to the forum.
    2nd. Well, it all depends...Advantage applies, so if they've retained possession and are good progress then why bring them back for a few yards gain and a chance for the defence to reform? But if they were only 10 from the goal line and are denied a scoring chance , then that would be different.
    Every one is different but there's no automatic right to lose the10m because they tried to go back. Also you need to watch for the tapper running into retreating player and trying to buy the not 10.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&W
    Grade
    RFU 9

ianh5979 probably uses more than one finger to type!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Yorkshire (South)
    Grade
    5 (Division North)

Don't forget as well that a player who was 10 metres back from the mark (onside) can run forward and put his team mates in front of him onside.

It took me ages to actually process that and it be in my brain.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    CUDRRS
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Don't forget as well that a player who was 10 metres back from the mark (onside) can run forward and put his team mates in front of him onside.

It took me ages to actually process that and it be in my brain.
    And I'd wager 99% of players and 100% of coaches don't know this.
    Doucement le matin, pas trop vite le soir!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Yorkshire (South)
    Grade
    5 (Division North)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuartg View Post
    And I'd wager 99% of players and 100% of coaches don't know this.
    It can be a nice get out of jail clause. Who's to say the onside winger on the far side didn't run up and put them onside?

"Gerrem onsarde ref"

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by newref View Post
    Hi there, just recently began refereeing in my local club. I had, what I thought was a very good understanding of the rules from playing and some coaching, but it appears all those watching the games I have reffed know a lot more about everything than me!! Anyway I was involved in a youths match over the weekend where I penalised 'team a' for offside at ruck and team b took a quick tap and go,team a had attempted to retreat in good time and team b took ball into contact after approx 6 - 7 meters, does this automatically entitle team b to another penalty 10 m form original mark or as someone had suggested to me afterwards, because team a had attempted to retreat and team b travelled more than 5 m before contact with team a, this was play on? I actually allowed play to continue as team b retained the ball and recycled?? I would appreciate some direction on this, thanks!!
    This part, is a befuddleration of another law and the suggestor hasn't helped by his misinformation, not worth confusing your Original Post point by discussing it, but I'd suggest removing 5m from your thinking on QTPs, as its simply a red herring.

See Law 21.7 through to 21.10.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    It can be a nice get out of jail clause. Who's to say the onside winger on the far side didn't run up and put them onside?

"Gerrem onsarde ref"
    Yep, and by the opposite token if one did, how many would honestly say they'd spot it beyond their narrower 'action' focus

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Yorkshire (South)
    Grade
    5 (Division North)

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    Yep, and by the opposite token if one did, how many would honestly say they'd spot it beyond their narrower 'action' focus
    I doubt the match observer would.

(Never actually had this situation before in real life.)

Thread Information