Thread: "He's in control of the ball"

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default "He's in control of the ball"

France v. England. Match on YouTube www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbssh2hs--8

At 17:33 game clock and 49:00 YouTube Noa Nakaitac score for France.

This try is not debatable as far as I'm concerned but the commentators kept questioning whether he had 'control'. Even NO asks "Did he have control?".

My thought is that control isn't required unless he lost it forward. Since he had downward pressure on the ball in contact with the ground then control isn't an issue.

Now, let's say he lost contact with the ball just before his foot lands over the dead ball line and then his hand re-contacts the ball as it lands on the turf with his foot in dead ball territory. That's a try! You'd need a prize set of cojones to award that.

Tending to the Attachment 3207
    Last edited by ChrisR; 03-04-15 at 21:04.

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NSRS
    Grade
    Newish

Default Re: "He's in control of the ball"

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    France v. England. Match on YouTube www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbssh2hs--8

At 17:33 game clock and 49:00 YouTube Noa Nakaitac score for France.

This try is not debatable as far as I'm concerned but the commentators kept questioning whether he had 'control'. Even NO asks "Did he have control?".

My thought is that control isn't required unless he lost it forward. Since he had downward pressure on the ball in contact with the ground then control isn't an issue.

Now, let's say he lost contact with the ball just before his foot lands over the dead ball line and then his hand re-contacts the ball as it lands on the turf with his foot in dead ball territory. That's a try! You'd need a prize set of cojones to award that.

Tending to the Attachment 3207
    Providing the ball went straight down or back when he lost control AND it was on the ground when he grounds it then yes, you would need a prize set of cojones to award that.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Banned

Soc/Assoc
    n/a
    Grade
    < player

Furthermore, if the ball is bobbling inside the in goal area and a player dives at the ball , a player can still score a try even if bounces off his chest downwards/forwards and then bounces back up again if his breasts are first to ground the ball again, provided it does hit his arm\hand before going forwards of course.

Memory says I've seen a try recently where it was scored by the attackers 'sixpack' ie... not using any arm/hand grounding , but I can't remember the incident to include a video .

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade

What I think they were interested in by the control question is whether they thought he was still the ball carrier when he touched the ground with the ball. If he was not in control, then he had presumably lost the ball and you are then looking at lost forward? and downward pressure? and in this case not looking at whether his foot was out!

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School

I am happy it is a try, but geeze I feel perhaps the referee should award a scrum for sheer stupidity. I hope that guy gets a right royal bollocking for taking it so close to the dead ball line.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Thread Information