Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Default Hawkeye to be used at RWC.

Hawkeye to be used at RWC.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2..._71532,00.html

In a first for a major rugby competition, Hawk-Eye’s SMART Replay technology will be used to strengthen the accuracy and efficiency of the Television Match Official (TMO) decision-making process, while providing invaluable support for medics in the area of identifying and reviewing head impacts.

While the protocol will be unchanged relating to the questions that the referee asks of the TMO, the technology that the TMO will have access to is being enhanced with access to simultaneous multiple angle replays in real-time and slow motion along with zoom-functionality delivered by Hawk-Eye’s SMART Replay technology.
    Reading the PR article I imagine it will be used in a similar way to this (not Hawkeye, but a similar concept):

http://replay-technologies.com/

Watch the demo video. They film from all round the ground using multiple cameras, then digitise the footage and merge it allowing them to replay, pause, zoom and move around the image from all angles.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Hawkeye to be used at RWC.

it says there have been trials. I wonder where -- seems to me you'd want to use this technology in anger, in a first class competition, over a season, before using it at a RWC..

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6

it was used in the Eng v Fra game last week, although not brought into action from what I saw
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Referees in Canada

Soc/Assoc
    AARQ
    Grade
    Select Grade

Here's the Hawk-Eye promo video https://vimeo.com/130409776

It's a different product to what you're looking at Phil, and it's more suitable for replays and analysis, whereas the one you posted is more for entertainment purposes with the home viewer in mind. Currently, from what I understand, TMO's look at 1 replay at a time form 1 video feed and they jump between the different feeds (same thing as what we see at home or on the big screen at the stadium). What Hawk-Eye allows you to do is look at ALL of the feeds at the same time and control them all simultaneously. This allows you to move to the moment of potential grounding and instead of seeing one angle then changing to another angle and trying to sync them both up in your head, you now have all the video feeds in front of you paused at the exact moment you want. It's the same type of technology that's used in pro sports in North America for video review and analysis.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6

Can't see how it can be of use in a rugby match, unless they will look at player trajectories (in the air challenges).

Not sure how a try can be reviewed using Hawkeye if the ball is smothered in the body or by a maul?
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Blog Entries

That looks useful, thanks for finding that. I see the difference and how a TMO would use it. It puts the control with the TMO rather than the broadcaster.

The one I showed is used in all NFL games by the broadcaster for analysis (see the more videos link on their page).

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    Not sure how a try can be reviewed using Hawkeye if the ball is smothered in the body or by a maul?
    I don't think that's what it's intended for?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    I am a Fan
    Grade
    Select Grade

On the contrary, it is for that exact case that this is intended.

As the camera angles are sync'd up, you can see

a) the ball touching the ground but not the line itself on one screen, because of players being around.

b) the position of the player and the line while the ball is hidden.

you correlate both and you can assure that the player touched the ball down early, on the line, in the ingoal, it was held up, etc.

Or maybe a strange situation where the player grounds the ball near the touch line while being tackled and both angles neglect some information: from the DBL you see the grounding but not the foot-in-touch and from the sideline it's obvious that a foot-in-touch occurred, but not when relative to the grounding.

Wasn't there an instance on a SH match not long ago where the TMO gave a try because on one replay he saw the grounded ball and in the other he saw that the position was correct? With this, TMOs will have a much more easy task.

Of course, a better camera disposal may give better performance, but it's not obvious to have a perfect camera disposal. Therefore, stick with what you have, add a few in strategic places and sync them up.
    Sorry about my English, as it isn't my mother tonge.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Suffolk and North Essex/ Eastern Counties Federation
    Grade
    Level 6

A very similar system is used in our major cities.

Referees in Canada

Soc/Assoc
    AARQ
    Grade
    Select Grade

I'm not exactly sure how the 3 major US sports leagues run their replay setups, but here's what I was thinking when I was referring to "North American" aka Canadian sport: http://blogs.canoe.com/krykslants/nf...s-it-sure-can/

Thread Information