Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giving cards in U19 games?

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Giving cards in U19 games?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering about what the general consensus is with giving yellow/red cards to U19 players? I was playing in an U18 game last weekend where one of our players committed a dangerous dump tackle which in my eyes would have been a clear yellow card offence in a senior match, although only a penalty and warning was given.
    Given that I have been refereeing a few U15/U16 games recently where cards are allowed to be given, I was just wondering whether other refs tends to be slightly more lenient on age-grade players in this area? If I saw a clear punch to the face, I would not hesitate in giving a red card, however, if it was a professional foul after a build-up of penalties which prevented a try being scored, I would be slightly less sure about giving a card.What does everyone else think?Cheers,Ruairidh

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Giving cards in U19 games?

I treat U19......or U18....or U17....the same as adults.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Various
    Grade
    Level 2

If anything, I was taught to err on the less lenient side when dealing with juniors. Dangerous tackles and foul play had more strict standards and it was more a case of junior players getting a YC/RC when a senior player would have gotten a lesser sanction. For example, we were instructed not to play advantage for dangerous/late tackles but to pull it up immediately.

In general though, why would you treat them differently?

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    I treat U19......or U18....or U17....the same as adults.
    As a rule same as this.....little bit of wiggle room with a pre season friendly etc.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

don't forget cards start at u13 in England

for violent play I think RC/YC to same standards (or even stricter) than adults, right down to U13.

a YC for technical or cynical offences, or for team offences, though, are less likely to make sense for normal 12 year olds .

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    don't forget cards start at u13 in England

for violent play I think RC/YC to same standards (or even stricter) than adults, right down to U13.

a YC for technical or cynical offences, or for team offences, though, are less likely to make sense for normal 12 year olds .
    Cards start at U15 in Scotland.

Thanks for this, I've been given conflicting advice on the issue, hence why I came here looking for advice. From what I'm getting here, it would seem as though cards should be given as normal, although for the younger ages it just needs to be well explained if a technical foul.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by ru-campbell View Post

Thanks for this, I've been given conflicting advice on the issue, hence why I came here looking for advice. From what I'm getting here, it would seem as though cards should be given as normal, although for the younger ages it just needs to be well explained if a technical foul.
    I'd suggest you talk to your local people - referee development officer, coach, society, whatever is appropriate. They may have some special focus that us from around the world may not be aware of.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

One way to look at it (not foolproof) is that a card shouldn't really come as a surprise to the players. That can be helpful for when to give cards for technical offences

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I'd suggest you talk to your local people - referee development officer, coach, society, whatever is appropriate. They may have some special focus that us from around the world may not be aware of.
    Good advice - in Oz we certainly have some different standards in some areas of play.
    For eg, u18 and lower, even a punch that doesn't connect is supposed to be a RC. There is no wriggle room. The intent is to make it clear that punching/fighting will not be tolerated.

Ummmm can someone in Scotland explain the brains behind this....unusual local rule?
    Don't you want to upset the cherubs? Do you think that you'll hurt their feelings and suppress their confidence too much if they Are sent from the field?

So what do you do with the u13/14 yo players that lack discipline? Do you just have a word with the coach and 'politely insist' the naughty boy is subbed for a rest??
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR

Do you use a "soft yellow" (ie player goes off for a think about himself but can be replaced) or is it just a free for all

Under 13 up is full Under 19 rules here, and due to kids and parents watching pro rugby on telly there is an expectation that cards will be used liberally.

Thread Information