Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Brisbane Rugby League Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

Unless the referee is 100% sure, he should take the word of the TJ who is in better position.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by leaguerefaus View Post
    Unless the referee is 100% sure, he should take the word of the TJ who is in better position.
    Well, there are TJs and then there are TJs. Including 8 year old kid who's more of a ball boy than a TJ, big, fat & slow ex-player with a can in one hand and a t-shirt in the other and club official who quite happily points out all of the opposition indiscretions and none of his own team.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Well, there are TJs and then there are TJs. Including 8 year old kid who's more of a ball boy than a TJ, big, fat & slow ex-player with a can in one hand and a t-shirt in the other and club official who quite happily points out all of the opposition indiscretions and none of his own team.
    Agree.
    I had one a few seasons ago. Conversion kick 1m left of left post. Two TJs pulled from crowd both raise flags when ball missed to left side of posts by at least 2m and only half way up post so no problem judging a high kick. No whistle from me and several clear signals to scorers that kick unsuccessful.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by jdeagro View Post
    The ball sailed directly over the left post from my perspective. I was standing behind the left post, about two feet to the right of it facing inward the field of play and I was back on the dead ball line. (The kick came from a far right side of the field angle, about 10 meters from the touch line, from the kickers perspective.)
    There's another discussion right there. In Aus we are taught to take up a different position which is alongside and just inside the post which also helps if the ball goes just over or just under the crossbar.
    Interested to hear what other Unions/Societies teach their AR's re positioning.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Brisbane Rugby League Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 2

Fair point, Dickie. I meant in the situation in which there is a competent person running touch (which may be rarer than I thought).

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

FWIW I've always stood next to the post underneath the bar for these reasons also. Just seeme dobvious to me.

For PKs ready to leg it behind the DBL if the kick is clearly going to miss/land short and play remain live.

didds

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    For PKs ready to leg it behind the DBL if the kick is clearly going to miss/land short and play remain live.
    I would suggest just hugging the post in this situation
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Singapore

Soc/Assoc
    Singapore Society of Rugby Union Referees (SSRUR)
    Grade
    IRB Level 2

if the AR says no and the ref says yes, the AR has a credibility problem
    When I ref, being with ARs or TJs and there's a disagreement between the two flags or between the flags and myself, I'll call time off and have a quick chat.
    Could be: "What did you see?"
    Or: "I saw it above the post, what's your view?"
    Or even: "You guys are kidding me, right, that landed a metre before the try line"

What is said only barely matters. But for everyone, teams and supporters, you managed an exception and it makes everyone look good
    (or at least not worse )

As for the OP, agree with the law definition "between the post".

Cheers,
    Pierre.
    Rule #1: If the law doesn't forbid it, it's allowed.
    Rule #2: If it ain't in the Law Book, don't make it up.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    There's another discussion right there. In Aus we are taught to take up a different position which is alongside and just inside the post which also helps if the ball goes just over or just under the crossbar.
    Interested to hear what other Unions/Societies teach their AR's re positioning.

We were taught to line up on or near (at least half way to) the dead ball line directly opposite where the kick was coming from, i.e. from the two TJ's perspectives, the kicker is "framed" by the crossbar and uprights. This is very similar to how you see touchies lined up in NRL and UK Superleague

We were expressly taught not to wait anywhere near the base of the posts as this could cause us to have to look straight up as the ball passed over (potentially losing directional perspective as the only reference point in your field of view became the post). It is also very easy to "lose" the ball against the sky on one of those bright, high-overcast days.

Additionally we were taught to make a positive indication of what we had seen; flag straight up for a successful kick - flag low and waved from side to side for a miss. (doing nothing meant you weren't sure if it went over or not)
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 27-09-16 at 20:09.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Gloucester & District / RFU
    Grade
    PGMOT AR

I am new to this AR game....

However. Things I have learned....

No wipe out for a miss.

If it looks like it has gone over the post the decision is it clearly missed or clearly was inside.

If it's to my post, "my call". Communicate the decision and then Both either up or down.

Post position is pretty adjacent, to the inside. My AR coach does not favour "one up, one back".

If sun might make seeing the ball difficult, advise ref before kick you might need his help .

Thread Information