Thread: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Somerset
    Grade
    Level 6

Default Re: Kick At Goal - Ball Over Top Of Post

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    so that we don't have any dispute an hour later when there's only 2 points in it!
    No dispute as to if it's given or not, i'd have blown my whistle and put an arm up if it was good, or did nothing if it missed, simples
    __________________________________________________ _______

happy with this posting

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFG View Post
    No dispute as to if it's given or not, i'd have blown my whistle and put an arm up if it was good, or did nothing if it missed, simples
    so one TJ flags over - - you are perfectly confident that everyone has noticed you, um, doing nothing at all ?

an hour later when someone says - but that second conversion went over? you'll say - but didn't didn't you notice me doing nothing?

For me, if one TJ flags up, one TJ flags down, I'm always going to make double sure that both captains understand what my decision was.
    Last edited by crossref; 28-09-16 at 13:09.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    so one TJ flags over - - you are perfectly confident that everyone has noticed you, um, doing nothing at all ?

an hour later when someone says - but that second conversion went over? you'll say - but didn't didn't you notice me doing nothing?

For me, if one TJ flags up, one TJ flags down, I'm always going to make double sure that both captains understand what my decision was.
    I generally ask TJs to agree if it was over or not and say if they don't agree, please tell me and I'll decide.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

You usually only see the one up one down situation when there are really short posts and the ball crosses higher that the posts, and/or the ball goes very close to one post.

If that happens, I would go with the TJ who is closest to the post nearest the ball.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

To me it makes sense for the TJs to flag what they see. If it's inside your post and over the bar stick your flag up. If it's outside your post wave the flag at knee level and then point to the outside. If it's inside your post but under the bar wave at knee level and point the flag down at the ground. If it's clearly outside the other post let the other guy wave it off.

Their flags may disagree with a ball directly over a post or possibly a ball under the bar. If it's a post issue take the flag of the guy on that post as he'll be the one waving it off. Under/over issue you'd better go have a chat.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

i thought the protocol was no flag wav at all for a miss?

didds

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post

didds
    Exactly
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

didds
    That is what some people keep trying to insist on. It presumably works well at levels where ARs are trained to operateas a team (otherwise they would not stick to it, I hope). However at lower levels it is quite different, as already explained.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    That is what some people keep trying to insist on. It presumably works well at levels where ARs are trained to operateas a team (otherwise they would not stick to it, I hope). However at lower levels it is quite different, as already explained.
    Obviously its different for us here, as anyone with a flag in their hand - especially in juniors - is by definition an AR with at least a Level 1 Accreditation.

The basic protocol is for both teams AR's to make themselves know to the referee before the game, preferably show their accreditation cards (their number has to be written on the result sheet), and for the referee to then brief them together on what he wants from them. If a club doesnt have an accredited AR (which I've never come across in the last 3 years or so), then the other club has a right to provide both AR's, and the non-compliant club is open to fines and point docking

For me at least the pre-match includes something like - "I don't want either of you to raise your flag on a goal kick until you've spoken and agreed. If you don't agree call me over and I'll make a call".

The great majority of club AR's I come across take the role very seriously - have their own flags, and in many cases either a special shirt or vest provided by their club to show their status. Rugby being such a small world here you will generally work with the same guys a number of times a season and get to know them pretty well.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

didds
    That may be, but a protocol is not worth the paper its written on if its not followed by everyone.

As far as Law goes, there is nothing written about how the AR/TJ will signal a missed shot at goal.

In top level RL, missed shots are waved away, and you never see a one flag up + one flag down & waving situation. If it works for them, there is no reason why it wouldn't work for us. I would certainly prefer we did it the way it was done in the past with the AR/TJ giving a positive indication of what he saw.

When you have a signal (or lack of) that means the same for two different things, that is simply inviting a cock-up!
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 29-09-16 at 01:09.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Thread Information