Thread: The 2017 British & Irish Lions Tour

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: The 2017 British & Irish Lions Tour

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    15.4 (a) When a player tackles an opponent and they both go to ground, the tackler must immediately release the tackled player.
    15.5 (b) A tackled player must immediately pass the ball or release it. That player must also get up or move away from it at once.

If both players act according to the law, there is no scope for forcing the ball carrier into touch after the tackle has been completed.
    OK, so if you saw the OP scenario then who would you PK, BC or the Foot Placer?
    Last edited by VM75; 16-06-17 at 10:06.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by VM75 View Post
    OK, so if you saw the OP scenario then who would you PK, BC or the Foot Placer?
    TBH I think ignoring it was probably the best call, but if I were to penalise someone it'd be the foot placer - hard to see that the BC holding on is material if nobody's trying to take the ball off him.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    TBH I think ignoring it was probably the best call, but if I were to penalise someone it'd be the foot placer - hard to see that the BC holding on is material if nobody's trying to take the ball off him.
    Tend to agree.

On our L1/L2 course we were guided to the sequencing process for refereeing the tackle as being:

1. the actions of the tackler, then;
    2. the tackled player and, finally;
    3. arriving players,

in that order.

I found that quite helpful.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    TBH I think ignoring it was probably the best call,
    if the touchie puts his flag up, ignoring is not an option
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    if the touchie puts his flag up, ignoring is not an option
    Yes it is.

If I saw the TJ/AR put his flag up, but I CLEARLY saw that the ball was not in touch (ball on its own 2m infield with no player touching it) I would call "play on". What would you do?
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Yes it is.

If I saw the TJ/AR put his flag up, but I CLEARLY saw that the ball was not in touch (ball on its own 2m infield with no player touching it) I would call "play on". What would you do?
    The same, obviously.

I don't think DickieE was talking about a clear 2m gap, so in considering Dickie E's scenario, IF an AR [presume were talking about formally appointed, rather than community volunteers] puts his flag up! Ignoring is not an option then is it, surely you're not going to publicly humiliate by undermining him ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

Hi guys. Having been away a while, I'm more than a little out of touch. Two things from Saturday's game against the NZ Maori.

1) Jaco was clearly trying to get a game going, but some of the side entries would have sent some contributors here into paroxysms a few years ago. Has there been a conscious relaxation, or this just a trend?

2) When did the law change regarding conversions after a Penalty Try?
    Don't feed the pedant!

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post

2) When did the law change regarding conversions after a Penalty Try?
    http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news...-set-for-2017/

Law 9 Method of Scoring
    9.A.1 (points values)
    Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded. No conversion is attempted.
    Value: 7 points
    Reasoning: To discourage teams from illegally preventing a probable try from being scored while also saving time on the clock by negating the need for a conversion.

"the trial will begin on 1 January 2017 in the southern hemisphere and 1 August 2017 in the north and will last for an initial period of one year. The 2017 British and Irish Lions tour and June window internationals will be played under the global law trials."

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post

1) Jaco was clearly trying to get a game going, but some of the side entries would have sent some contributors here into paroxysms a few years ago. Has there been a conscious relaxation, or this just a trend?
    Maybe players are so often pushing the boundaries that refs are being forced to back down from enforcing for fear of being seen as a whistle-happy-chappie, another example of technique coaching making it so very difficult to manage, similar to scrum feeds - coaches kept pushing & ref's backed away from the subject

If everyone keeps doing it, then it probably becomes the permitted norm of 'convention', sadly.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by VM75 View Post
    Maybe players are so often pushing the boundaries that refs are being forced to back down from enforcing for fear of being seen as a whistle-happy-chappie, another example of technique coaching making it so very difficult to manage, similar to scrum feeds - coaches kept pushing & ref's backed away from the subject

If everyone keeps doing it, then it probably becomes the permitted norm of 'convention', sadly.
    It only becomes convention if we allow it too. We all have a role to play here, recognising of course the game we referee is not the same as the one you watch on TV......

Thread Information