Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a referee?

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Becoming a referee?

Hi,

New on here so welcome, and apologies if this is in the wrong place or been asked before.

I'm in my mid-twenties and have become interested in becoming a referee, having played to a decent standard when younger but injuries have now ended the playing days. I'm living in central London and interested in the best next steps to get involved in officiating.

It feels like it would be sensible to have a discussion with someone involved in organising London referees before just turning up on a course. Would most people advise this, and can anyone suggest who to get in touch with? The RFU website with contacts (http://www.englandrugby.com/Document...0_English.docx) doesn't appear to work.

I would also be interested to hear about how long it took most people to start refereeing to a reasonable standard, or any advice anyone has.

Cheers,
    X123

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Becoming a referee?

Hi - X123 -- here's the website for the London Society
    http://www.londonrugby.com/

and here is the 'join us' page
    http://www.londonrugby.com/JoinUs.html

go down that route - all the regions have a person who looks after new members and helps them get started

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by X123 View Post

I would also be interested to hear about how long it took most people to start refereeing to a reasonable standard, or any advice anyone has.
    First of all welcome X123

I suspect you'd be interested to hear about people similar to yourself rather than middle aged has-beens plodding around at L8.

That being the case, my son who is now 23 (this week) started refereeing due to injury curtailing his playing career - much like yourself.

He started in November 2013 in the East Midlands (whilst at University) and moved (back) to Yorkshire for the 2015/16 season at Level 8. He is now at L6 and on the Yorkshire Federation Development Squad.

After being watched recently by North Group MOs he has his first L5 (National 3 North) game due imminently.

Yorkshire (especially South) have a good track record of attracting and developing young (and not so young) referees through Federation/Group/National Panel to the upper tiers of officiating stardom.

Good luck but more importantly - enjoy it!
    Last edited by Lee Lifeson-Peart; 06-03-17 at 11:03.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    ELRA

Maybe also contact your local club? They will definitely welcome a young new referee and you can get some experience in training, youth games etc.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_A View Post
    Maybe also contact your local club? They will definitely welcome a young new referee and you can get some experience in training, youth games etc.
    It may vary from place to place, but I'd caution against that - IME there are insurance problems when referees are informally appointed to games.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

that simply isn't the case, DocY - the standard insurance held by every club covers the club for the actions of anyone that the club appoints as coach or referee (or pitch marshall for that matter) Indeed that's the whole point of the insurance, and that's how games are able to take place without external refs

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    that simply isn't the case, DocY - the standard insurance held by every club covers the club for the actions of anyone that the club appoints as coach or referee (or pitch marshall for that matter) Indeed that's the whole point of the insurance, and that's how games are able to take place without external refs
    Thanks for that - I had a bollocking a few years ago for refereeing a friendly (seniors) without going through the appointments sec: "all appointments have to come through me, blah blah blah, insurance, blah blah blah...". He left under a cloud not long after, so maybe he wasn't the most trustworthy source.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

It's correct that if you are appointed by the club then your appointment is covered by the club's insurance, and NOT by the society's.
    The society's insurance covers only the appointments made by the Society.

(and if you are appointed by the club you shouldn't be wearing your society shirt, making it look as if you have a society appointment)

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    It's correct that if you are appointed by the club then your appointment is covered by the club's insurance, and NOT by the society's.
    The society's insurance covers only the appointments made by the Society.

(and if you are appointed by the club you shouldn't be wearing your society shirt, making it look as if you have a society appointment)
    You should of course wear your CLUB shirt when appointed by them.

* big wink *

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    You should of course wear your CLUB shirt when appointed by them.

* big wink *

didds
    JPR Williams recounts in his 1978? autobiography a referee on one of the Lions Tours ('71 or '74) wearing the same socks as one of the teams they were playing.

Then of course there was that famous South African referee from 1974 - Max Biased - or something like that

Seriously - I understand Fergus Slattery wrote a forward for Max Baise's (auto)biography which if true encapsulates everything good about Rugby.
    Last edited by Lee Lifeson-Peart; 06-03-17 at 13:03.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Thread Information