Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Charging a retreating player

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Concur. However, the tone of the game might warrant a PK against white (10.4(m) Good Sportsmanship). You'd need to be there to make the correct call.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    From what you describe, I'd be erring on the side of a penalty. I'd generally play on, even if there are calls for a penalty, with a "No! you ran into him!", but if a player had changed his line to run hard into an opponent (as opposed to the small bump that usually happens) I'd be thinking about a penalty and if it caused a flare up that's going to push me further towards awarding a penalty.
    My bold above

We cannot PK against white ball carrier. He is permitted by law to charge into opponent.

(f) Playing an opponent without the ball. Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push or obstruct an opponent not carrying the ball.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Rich_NL, you got the result right and a "Play on!"would have been a good call. Would you use "play on" in Holland?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    My bold above

We cannot PK against white ball carrier. He is permitted by law to charge into opponent.

(f) Playing an opponent without the ball. Except in a scrum, ruck or maul, a player who is not in possession of the ball must not hold, push or obstruct an opponent not carrying the ball.
    Of course we can:

10.2 (d)

10.4 (m)

Both allow you to PK they player.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Rich_NL, you got the result right and a "Play on!"would have been a good call. Would you use "play on" in Holland?
    You'd say "speel door" in Dutch... but I referee in English

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Of course we can:

10.2 (d)

10.4 (m)

Both allow you to PK they player.
    Not good enough, the law and common strategy allows players carrying the ball to run into opponents and quite honestly teammates behind them. This is no different. These players have chosen rugby over tiddly winks, and should be allowed to play as permitted

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired

But the law doesn't allow players to play in an unsportsman-like way.

We have an instance of a player more interested in attempting to contrive a penalty than to make ground and his actions causing a bust up.

10.4 (m) gives the referee a lot of scope to penalise players for being dicks and in this situation he was being a dick!

And 10.2 (d) says the player cannot take any action to make the referee think the opposition has offended - I'd count shouting at the referee as violating that (given that there's not much argument that the retreating player didn't infringe).

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kurt Weaver View Post
    Not good enough, the law and common strategy allows players carrying the ball to run into opponents and quite honestly teammates behind them. This is no different. These players have chosen rugby over tiddly winks, and should be allowed to play as permitted
    Not when they are trying to get a penalty kick they are not. Also If it is dangerous that trumps things anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    But the law doesn't allow players to play in an unsportsman-like way.

We have an instance of a player more interested in attempting to contrive a penalty than to make ground and his actions causing a bust up.

10.4 (m) gives the referee a lot of scope to penalise players for being dicks and in this situation he was being a dick!

And 10.2 (d) says the player cannot take any action to make the referee think the opposition has offended - I'd count shouting at the referee as violating that (given that there's not much argument that the retreating player didn't infringe).
    Exactly!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    West Yorkshire
    Grade
    Ref Advisor/Assessor

IMHO as long as the retreating player is making a genuine attempt to run the 10 metres to complying with 21.7(c) it's play-on. If an attacking player wants to run into them and slow their own progress by doing so, more fool them. This just gives the defending team more time to tackle them and also put the treating player onside, so they can now help!

The calls from his team mates for a penalty then opens them up to being penalised for 10.4(m)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade

Loud shout of "no, play on"
    Warn white during down time about trying to contrive offences
    Penalise subsequent occurrence

Referees in Italy

Soc/Assoc
    CN Arbitri Rugby
    Grade
    Arbitro Effettivo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elpablo73 View Post
    IMHO as long as the retreating player is making a genuine attempt to run the 10 metres to complying with 21.7(c) it's play-on. If an attacking player wants to run into them and slow their own progress by doing so, more fool them. This just gives the defending team more time to tackle them and also put the treating player onside, so they can now help!

The calls from his team mates for a penalty then opens them up to being penalised for 10.4(m)
    Totally agree.

Punishing a ball carrier for going against an opponent is unfair to me.
    I have the ball i go wherever i want, defender must go 10 mt away, that's it.

I'd suggest to tell the defender: "Let him play!"* If the BC bumps into him we can tell him: "keep going back".

Let's remember that as soon as the ref blows the whistle and indicates which team is going to kick, opponents should start going back even without knowing the exact place where the game will resume at. By doing so, the risk of not being at 10 mt is very low, even with a quick kick (they usually stare at you for a few seconds).

*Let him play could mean:
    keep going back
    avoid him (you can move sideways too)
    stay still and let him avoid you

Thread Information