Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Berkshire
    Grade
    Level 10
    Blog Entries

Default Documentation on cards

Guys,

this is may be a silly question, and I apologise if it is. In reading the laws, in certain areas it states that a player must be YC or RC for the offence, but not others, but watching the TV there seems to be certain offences that are always carded. I.e taking the man in the , if lands on arm shoulder, YC, but if head or back RC. Is there anywhere where this is written down?
    Dave Elliott
    Berkshire Society Referee (L10)
    RugbyRefs.com Administrator
    www.prestigewebdesigns.co.uk

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Default Re: Documentation on cards

It tends to be mandated in WR's Law Application Guidelines (sometimes) the latest example is below:-

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?domain=9

That said one bit of (in)famous Law Application from RWC 2011 is conspicuous by its absence ie the Allain Rolland/Sam Warburton RC for SW's tackle on Vincent Clerc.

Last edited by Lee Lifeson-Peart; 09-05-17 at 17:05.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Thanks. I was in a good mood till you dragged that back up.

Davsas, Allain Rolland was following the Memo which had been circulated not long before the 2011 RWC. It seems to have disappeared from the websites (it is in our Wiki page - see link below) but it does still get referred to every now and again in disciplinary hearings.

2009 Memo - http://www.rugbyrefs.com/wiki/index....gerous_Tackles

Quote Originally Posted by davsas View Post
    Guys, this is may be a silly question, and I apologise if it is.
    If you don't know the answer, there is no such thing. You fire away.
    Last edited by Taff; 09-05-17 at 18:05.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post

Davsas, Allain Rolland was following the Memo which had been circulated not long before the 2011 RWC. It seems to have disappeared from the websites (it may be in our Wiki page) but it does still get referred to every now and again in disciplinary hearings.
    Happy to help.
    It's like a big tide of jam coming towards us, but jam made out of old women......Father Dougal McGuire 1998

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired

As others have said - it's in the guidelines that get sent around every so often.

I believe there's only one offence that the lawbook says must be a card: playing with prohibited equipment after the referee has told you to get rid of it.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Wasps
    Grade
    Former member of RFU TJ p

[QUOTE=Taff;331066]Thanks. I was in a good mood till you dragged that back up.

Davsas, Allain Rolland was following the Memo which had been circulated not long before the 2011 RWC. It seems to have disappeared from the websites (it is in our Wiki page - see link below) but it does still get referred to every now and again in disciplinary hearings.

2009 Memo - [url]http://www.rugbyrefs.com/wiki/index.php/2009_Memo_on_Dangerous_Tackles[/url

Rolland subsequently sent off a Frenchman at Wasps for eaxactly the same offence. Excellent consistency from a fine referee.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by dickell View Post
    Rolland subsequently sent off a Frenchman at Wasps for eaxactly the same offence. Excellent consistency from a fine referee.
    You may well be right.
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't criticising Rolland; I remember telling my wife Warburton was going to get a as soon as I saw the replay. There was about 40 seconds where most people were talking of a but having read the 2009 Memo several times, I feared the worst as soon as the Frenchman got dropped.
    Last edited by Taff; 09-05-17 at 19:05.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    As others have said - it's in the guidelines that get sent around every so often.

I believe there's only one offence that the lawbook says must be a card: playing with prohibited equipment after the referee has told you to get rid of it.
    10.2 UNFAIR PLAY
    (a) Intentionally Offending. A player must not intentionally infringe any Law of the Game, or
    play unfairly. The player who intentionally offends must be either admonished, or cautioned
    that a send off will result if the offence or a similar offence is committed, or sent off.
    Sanction: Penalty kick
    A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise
    have been scored. A player who prevents a try being scored through foul play must either be
    cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=dickell;331069]

2009 Memo - [url]http://www.rugbyrefs.com/wiki/index.php/2009_Memo_on_Dangerous_Tackles[/url

Indeed he did.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Berkshire
    Grade
    Level 10
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Dave Elliott
    Berkshire Society Referee (L10)
    RugbyRefs.com Administrator
    www.prestigewebdesigns.co.uk

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11

2009 Memo - http://www.rugbyrefs.com/wiki/index....gerous_Tackles
    I had the privilege of refereeing with Alain Rolland at the 2014 Oktoberfest Sevens. Gave me some very useful feedback and watching the man at work also showed me a lot. A top gent.

We also asked him about THAT card and he said that he knew it was a red the moment Warburton turned Clerc over, and he'd do it without hesitating again if it was required.

Thread Information