Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Thread: Lions Series - Accidental Offsite?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1

Default Re: Lions Series - Accidental Offsite?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    I agree 100%.

Furthermore, the blitz/rush defence, call it what you will, would not be anywhere near as effective if referees were more diligent in regard to midfield offsides. There is absolutely no doubt that the Lions rush defence were offside at most rucks during the entire tour. A midfield defender might only be a half-yard offside, but that half-yard is often the difference between an attacking midfielder receiving the ball and being able to move it on, and that player being caught with the ball behind the advantage line.

I often hear the argument that the attack should stand deeper, or to chip over the top, but why should they be the ones forced to make tactical changes because their opponents are cheating?
    Of course none of the New Zealand teams were ever offside at a ruck were they!

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by RedCapRef View Post
    In all likelihood they may have been, but since I was addressing liversegde's comment about BLITZ DEFENCE, offside at the ruck is somewhat irrelevant to that subject....isn't it!!
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by RedCapRef View Post
    Best of luck, so naive !

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

Hello Redcapref,
    Belated welcome to the forums. Glad you decided to start contributing, rather than just "lurking"
    Don't be put off by the rudeness of some, dismissing anything they don't agree with as irrelevant. RRF is for refs of all levels, so you opinion is entirely relevant.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 29-07-17 at 08:07.
    There are more ways of killing a dog than choking it with butter.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1

Thanks L'irlandais

I use this forum as a valuable learning tool and insight into the game. Some of the expertise and opinions should have a wider audience as they are probably a lot more helpful for people to understand than most of what is seen in the "popular press" from all countries. But you do have to sort through some chaff!
    Just getting used to the differences in the perceptions of the game in the Southern Hemisphere after 36 seasons as a player coach and ref in UK.
    Might get some time to put some words together on the subject later.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

I agree 100%.

Furthermore, the blitz/rush defence, call it what you will, would not be anywhere near as effective if referees were more diligent in regard to midfield offsides. There is absolutely no doubt that the Lions rush defence were offside at most rucks during the entire tour. A midfield defender might only be a half-yard offside, but that half-yard is often the difference between an attacking midfielder receiving the ball and being able to move it on, and that player being caught with the ball behind the advantage line.

I often hear the argument that the attack should stand deeper, or to chip over the top, but why should they be the ones forced to make tactical changes because their opponents are cheating?
    And this is a fair point. Throughout the tour, I spotted possible midfield offsides from both teams. I thought most were marginal, and unlikely to meet the "clear and obvious" test. Where they were more egregious, it was usually when the referee was scrutinising the ruck for hands, side entry etc without a clear view of the midfield. I suspect this is one for the AR to be asked to call in - it's not reasonable to expect the referee to make a sound judgement within a fraction of a second looking up as the #9 distributes.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Retired from Berkshire
    Grade

In all likelihood they may have been, but since I was addressing liversegde's comment about BLITZ DEFENCE, offside at the ruck is somewhat irrelevant to that subject....isn't it!!
    Come on Ian - don't get so defensive! You yourself started the train of thought regarding ruck offsides:

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Cooke
    Furthermore, the blitz/rush defence, call it what you will, would not be anywhere near as effective if referees were more diligent in regard to midfield offsides. There is absolutely no doubt that the Lions rush defence were offside at most rucks during the entire tour.
    There's no call to get sniffy when a new forum participant follows up your train of thought.
    Don't feed the pedant!

Thread Information