Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: open letter - is this the right thing?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default open letter - is this the right thing?

https://melbournerebels.com/2017/09/...y-union-board/

I'm interested in what others think about apolitcal bodies becoming involved in, and taking a stance, on contentious social issues.

My view: while I support marriage equality I don't think it is in the remit of the VRU or its Board to take a stance and think it is a bad look.

If they took a stance on euthanasia or any other issue, I would feel the same.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 7

Default Re: open letter - is this the right thing?

I think this is very issue dependent.

In this case, I fully support the open letter from this apolitical body. I think it is absolutely right they, and other like them show support for the LGBT community, who are very underrepresented in all levels of our game. This open support helps address predjudice and overcome discrimination, both of which are alive and well in the game of rugby regarding the LGBT community.

Well done Victorian Rugby Union.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

I'm torn!

Part of me says that sports organisations are an integral part of the community so they should be allowed to state their collective position on social issues, particularly if a position is clearly outlined in their policy or constitution.

However, another part of me says they have no business commenting on certain issues because doing so can be taken as speaking for all sportsmen involved in the relevant sport.

I don't know, but I do wonder if this release has been in response to Israel Folau saying the he opposes gay marriage.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/natio...arriage-tweet/
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

... ditto maybe individuals with access to the media (sports, musicians, acters etc) using their access to promulgate their personal opinions maybe?

didds

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

It depends. In cases of inclusivity, I can see that a body with an interest in promoting that like rugby could take a stand on matters of race, sexuality, etc. Things like abortion and euthanasia are clearly nothing to do with the image of the sport.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Stamping out homophobia in rugby I get. But that is different to marriage equality

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

there's a referendum just about to happen in Australia isn't there?

so give us some context - are the VRU unusual in expressing a view, so or are all manner of unlikely organisations expressing opinions on the question.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    there's a referendum just about to happen in Australia isn't there?

so give us some context - are the VRU unusual in expressing a view, so or are all manner of unlikely organisations expressing opinions on the question.
    It's a non-binding postal plebiscite but my view is the Turnbull govt wants it to get up so that they can legislate and be done with it. It is very divisive. Yes, lots of organisations (inc ARU) and expressing opinions

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3

To a degree, damned if they do and damned if they don't.

It's thorny one. (Not the marriage issue - that's easy; the letter writing). I took on writing a diversity statement for my local Union, and it was met with...well, some entrenched view.

It seems pretty clear to me that individuals - rugby players, musicians, actors, whoever the hell - have the right to make their positions clear. How much weight you give them is entirely up to you. I suspect that they might just be getting out ahead of the press and the question: "Folau has come out against the marriage proposal. Is that position you take?"

If you know the question is coming, go early and avoid making it look like you're purely reactive on it.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    Connacht
    Grade
    LEVEL 3 IRFU

I dont think they should get involved at all. Who are they speaking for and on behalf of ? Is it just the boards position or did they seek approval of their members ?

I happily voted for equal marriage rights in Ireland, I just wouldnt be happy with a club that I am a member of making statements effectively on my behalf.

Its a dangerous road to go down no matter how well intentioned.
    Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door !

Thread Information