Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: NatWest 6 Nations 2018 Championship - talking points

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: NatWest 6 Nations 2018 Championship - talking points

in those replays it was confusing having the outline line of the sponsor logo so close to the blue/white goal line ....

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 6+1

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Yeah, that’s the one, 38 seconds into these extended highlights . Kearney jumps to contest the up and under, which causes the English fullback to take his eye momentarily off the ball. It spills backwards into the ingoal, coming first off Watson’s head and then Kearney’s leg. Only to be grounded by Green 13

The Daily Mirror’s correspondent is arguing that it is a knock-on by Green 15.
    It looks like a knock on in the air off green 15 to me - but hey ho better side won no gripes.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

IT is certainly not clear and obvious that Green 15 got a hand to the ball as White 15 attempted to gather it into his chest. What is clear is that the ball comes back off Watson as both fullbacks fell to the deck. The TMO cannot rule for a knockon, if he cannot see one.
    There are more ways of killing a dog than choking it with butter.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

but doesn't Watson then ground it first ?

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

You may have a point there. Perhaps the TMO was under the mis impression that the logo outline was the goalline. That or he feels the ball escaped his grasp, so no downward pressure.
    There are more ways of killing a dog than choking it with butter.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 6+1

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    IT is certainly not clear and obvious that Green 15 got a hand to the ball as White 15 attempted to gather it into his chest. What is clear is that the ball comes back off Watson as both fullbacks fell to the deck. The TMO cannot rule for a knockon, if he cannot see one.
    I disagree - the highlights on the 6. Nations app show it better.

The grounding is fine - Watson is short of the goal line

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Warren View Post
    I disagree - the highlights on the 6. Nations app show it better.

The grounding is fine - Watson is short of the goal line
    He's not short of the goal line, though, look again -- he grounds it well over the blue/white, slightly indistinct goal line, but short of the bright, white outline of the Natwest logo, which is a metre or so inside the in goal

Did the TMO confuse the two lines? Did the blue lines cost us a try

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Good point about the lines. I'm not convinced that Watson forced/grounded the ball though....

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2

Quote Originally Posted by davidlandy View Post
    What a finale to the six nations

Re the indiscipline discussion, any post-match thoughts? I missed the first 15 but was surprised to see Ire on a yellow when I tuned in. Is it possible EJ's derogatory remarks during the week had had an effect after all? And did later Eng indiscipline cost them, or were they simply outplayed?

One other thing that strikes me is that, despite their ranking in the tournament, there isn't really anything all that wrong with England at the moment. After all, they beat us (Wales) fair and square, and were the better team on the day, and we ended up coming 2nd, so go figure.

What I think is though, that England are suffering - as Wales did 4 years ago - from post-Lions-malaise, with top players either crocked or fatigued or on a kind of post-peak burn-out. I don't know the root cause, perhaps it's just harder to bring that peak intensity to the six-nations after facing NZ in a Lions tour? Certainly Itoje didn't look yesterday like the potent force he has been previously, to name just one high-profile example.

I totally agree about the indiscipline btw. The choice of Hartley as captain said it all, really, as he's a serial offender. That was quickly followed by Marler racially abusing an opponent on the FoP and getting away with it (i.e. he wasn't suspended or sacked by his own team).

And to say that I was shocked to read that the CEO of the RFU said it's a good thing that the England captain is seen to be punished by disciplinary panels, as it sets an example to the youth, is the understatement of the year - I am utterly gobsmacked.

We might as well say that it was a good thing that lots of MP's were caught and punished for fiddling their expenses, as that will teach the rest of us. Clearly, the rot goes all the way to to top.

If it was a mistake to make Hartley captain, despite his leadership qualities and subsequent success, who was responsible for picking him and for continuously defending him? And who was responsible for that appointment?

As L'Irlandais has pointed out, other teams do it differently. Remember when a top Wales player was dropped for drunkenly driving a golf cart on the M4 in the wee hours? That sort of thing sends a clear message: as a national player you are an ambassador. And that it's a privilege - not a right - to wear the jersey.
    Why don't Irish & Scottish players suffer from post-Lions burn-out then?

Quote Originally Posted by irishref View Post
    Why don't Irish & Scottish players suffer from post-Lions burn-out then?
    Well it's only a theory, but I would say that they do - it's just that there weren't as many of them in the squad.

There were 16 Englishmen, 12 Welshmen, 11 Irishmen and 2 Scots in the initial squad, see eg
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rug...ons-squad.html

So the split was approx:

England 40%
    Wales 30%
    Ireland 25%
    Scotland 5%

(Figures rounded slightly)

Thread Information