Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable frustration or sending off?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Acceptable frustration or sending off?

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I would imagine the point here is that theer is no tripod on the pitch for anybody to make contact with.

didds
    Indeed.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Safety ?
    Indeed you are correct.

The union found referees were wearing such items without reference and told us quite clearly it was to stop. Of course other unions may take a different view. Always best to send that email or make that call.
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 19-11-18 at 09:11.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    re. Wearing the GoPro, I’ve not asked my Society or Union, but then no one has ever asked me if they can video games and there is usually at least one tripod at every game I referee.

Missing two points.

1: how many tripods are on the FoP?

2: Child protection issues affect filming. As a adult you are not protected by such things.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

I used to wear one (with parental consent from both side) for minis games that I coached, primary purpose was to let the kids watch their game, they loved it. However, it become more and more frequent that a parent had issues with it - they could never quite communicate what those issues where, they just felt it was wrong in some way, so I'd never argue, as much a social reflection I expect, but soon wasn't worth doing it.

The only time I've considered it since then, sadly, has been for the behaviour off pitch, again kids games :-(

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I was asked to wear one once, by parents.
    I declined.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Missing two points.

1: how many tripods are on the FoP?

2: Child protection issues affect filming. As a adult you are not protected by such things.
    And there it is...PC gone mad.

Safety I get...to an extent. A gopro under your jersey is no more dangerous to players than comms radio systems??..and even the referees watch could be regarded more dangerous with flailing ref hand signals!!

As for "child protection affecting filmimg" I dont claim to know your laws over there...but over here it is not illegal to photograph or video anyone in public playing sport (unless they are inappropriate images). And you dont need permission.
    I get a 300mm zoom lens could look suspicious...but a gopro??pfffft!

Not that I use a gopro (but i have before) but I wouldn't be asking anyone if I could use it (unless the was a rule in place)..

I think your union has overreacted out of fear mongering...but again I concede i don't your criminal.laws on this issue.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

In the UK, it is not illegal to photograph / film someone in a public space (not that prevents parents going nuts if you try to take photos of your own kids at the play park). Many Rugby pitches are not 'public spaces' though.

Consent wise we get our parents to sign photographic consent forms when kids join the club, there also tend to be specific supplementary forms that go out to other clubs when we hold a festival that might include press coverage. All that still doesn't stop parents not being happy about it, or sadly quite common scenarios where you'll have a child in foster care or some other such where the publication of images on social media would cause issues. Same reason why you can't take pics at most school shows / nativities any more :-(

Broadly, it's a lot of effort, which is sad.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    ..and even the referees watch could be regarded more dangerous with flailing ref hand
    Now that you mention it.....
    I did actually whack a 9 in the face once as I awarded a penalty to his team at a scrum. Back of the hand with force into the snout!!
    Everyone saw the funny side of it....even the 9 himself (after his eyes stopped watering)
    Time off and profuse apologies and embarrassment on my behalf! !

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    ELRA

The junior squad that I used to manage had 4 or 5 boys doing GCSE Sports (school exams at 16yrs old). They all had rugby as one of their sport options and had to get video of them playing or training as part of their coursework. I was told to have everyone either sign a video release form or not take part. We ended up doing this in training as it was way too hard to have both teams in a match all have signed forms.

Such a shame as we'd love to video a game or two, even if it was just to do a pizza and match viewing session, rather than real detailed analysis.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1

I used to video (or get someone to) all my teams games from U14 onward, always asked the opposition coach and the ref if there was a problem, nearly always no and could they have a copy please. Always offered a copy to the ref (I found it really useful when I watched myself) and always amazed when they said no thanks. Most did and they were nearly always those we considered the better ones.
    We had one occasion where there was a child who could not be photographed.

Thread Information