Thread: Are there any offiside lines at a quick throw

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Are there any offiside lines at a quick throw

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat View Post
    No, the directive back in 2012 and again in about 2015 was to penalise these players for the first infringement i.e. being offside and either moving forward or not retreating under the 10m law. The directive, from memory, was along the lines of "zero tolerance" for such players cutting down the receiving team's options.
    I don't think this is quite right, but either way it's different from the advice received by Taff

I don't think the world are all clear on the Law here!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    FNCRRA
    Grade
    L1 Ref & L2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I don't think this is quite right, but either way it's different from the advice received by Taff

I don't think the world are all clear on the Law here!
    It's possible that the advice given to Taff was poorly worded and open to interpretation???

This was an issue and an area of focus back in about 2015. I can't find the document I'm looking for but in the process of searching came across 2015 GMGs:

Rationale for emphasis
    • When the ball is kicked in general play, any player of the kicking team in front of the kicker is offside.
    • Offside players who are advancing are cutting down options for counter attack and forcing the receiving team to kick as their first option. Referees must penalise offside players and should no longer rely on continually verbally managing these players because by advancing they have already had an impact on play.
    • With a long kick downfield, referees may be able to manage an offside player. The referee should call only once for the player to stop. If the player does not stop immediately (not just slow down), they are liable to penalty.
    • With a short or high kick, there will be little or no opportunity for the referee to manage and players must immediately act as per Law or they are liable to penalty.
    Offside players must be dealt with even when the ball looks like it will go into touch because a quick throw may be an option. Once the ball is in touch, offside no longer applies and offside players may move forward toward a lineout or where a quick throw is being attempted.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
    It's the same when you are stupid.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Blog Entries

I am very much with The Fat on this one. If you look back, this serves to cement all the posts in one of the most recent threads on this.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2

No, the directive back in 2012 and again in about 2015 was to penalise these players for the first infringement i.e. being offside and either moving forward or not retreating under the 10m law. The directive, from memory, was along the lines of "zero tolerance" for such players cutting down the receiving team's options.
    The advice I was given verbally may have been around 2015; time goes so fast.

The problem is that we wouldn't penalise every single incident of moving forward before the ball goes dead; eg if an offside prop decides to save a few seconds and starts jogging to the LoT before the ball actually crosses the touchline. Would we penalise that every single time? I doubt it, because in 99% of cases it's totally immaterial.

Bluntly until the ball has crossed the touchline and we know if the QTI is on, we won't know if any incidents of offside are material or not.

This was an issue and an area of focus back in about 2015. I can't find the document I'm looking for but in the process of searching came across 2015 GMGs:

Rationale for emphasis
    Offside players must be dealt with even when the ball looks like it will go into touch because a quick throw may be an option. Once the ball is in touch, offside no longer applies and offside players may move forward toward a lineout or where a quick throw is being attempted.
    Ties in with what we were told ..... even though I don't like it if I'm being honest.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

Moving forward to the line of touch (or QT) is fine, since the attackers have the right to compete for the ball at the quick throw. However the OP described a player going beyond this line and man marking the back most likely to recieve the QT ball. Is marking allowed in Rugby? This for me is preventing the QT. So i agree with The Fat, NOT allowed. Restricting the opponent’s option is NOT competing for the ball. So the player in the OP was not offside and can compete for the ball at the QT, but not by going beyond the line of the QT and restricting the thrower’s options. By throwing the ball deep, he is already giving up territory to ensure the pass goes to hand. If you allow the opposition to interfere with the pass that is giving an unfair advantage to them. They gave up possession, a gain in territory up to the line of touch is their reward.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 26-03-19 at 13:03.
    There are more ways of killing a dog than choking it with butter.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Moving forward to the line of touch (or QT) is fine, since the attackers have the right to compete for the ball at the quick throw. However the OP described a player going beyond this line and man marking the back most likely to recieve the QT ball. Is marking allowed in Rugby? This for me is preventing the QT. So i agree with The Fat, NOT allowed. Restricting the opponent’s option is NOT competing for the ball.
    That's novel ..

I think an onside player can legitimately go beyond the QTI to contest it

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

Law 18.7 has a nice little image showing where the QT thrower is entitled to throw. Your attacker is restricting his entitlement. Which law do you use to justify your allowing a player do so? By his actions the QT is off and a line out is on, this player must retire 10m to be on side. (How does that fit? He is way offside in that scenario) Clearly those who wrote that were not imagining a player 25 meters beyond the line of touch.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 26-03-19 at 14:03.
    There are more ways of killing a dog than choking it with butter.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I think you have invented an offside line that is not in the Laws

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Law 18.7 has a nice little image showing where the QT thrower is entitled to throw. Your attacker is restricting his entitlement.
    Logic error. A player is entitled to score a try, but that does not mean you MUST allow him to do so.
    Which law do you use to justify your allowing a player do so?
    The fact that there is no law preventing him. If he is not offside, he is allowed to be wherever he wants to be (unless he interferes with players off the ball).
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Law 18.7 has a nice little image showing where the QT thrower is entitled to throw. Your attacker is restricting his entitlement. Which law do you use to justify your allowing a player do so? By his actions the QT is off and a line out is on, this player must retire 10m to be on side. (How does that fit? He is way offside in that scenario) Clearly those who wrote that were not imagining a player 25 meters beyond the line of touch.
    The QTI is still on - the throwing player can throw in and catch the ball himself. There's no restriction of competition at the QTI in the law book, except that the opposition can't prevent the ball travelling 5m.

There's a section "offside at a lineout", explicitly once the lineout has formed (and a QTI thus not possible) but no specifications for offside at a QTI - in which case the natural assumption for me is that normal open play applies.

Thread Information