Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: South African schoolboy rugby viral tackle video

Do we have consensus that it's a RC ?
    I got the impression that is a minority view

Ref - Why did you issue a RC?
    Because I saw player making a reckless and dangerous action disguised as a tackle.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

I, for one, like Roman numerals

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1

I'm sorry but this kind of hit is EXACTLY the reason that a lot of people watch rugby for. Yes there's the All Black style of rugby which is at times simply mesmorising. But at the same time the people want to see bit rib busting hits. As long as they're not high or massively late. For me the issue is the size difference. But there's nothing in the LotG that states it's illegal to tackle someone smaller than you. His foot is on the ground 1 step away, which is what coached. The cylinder tackle bags that are available encourage that kind of tackle. For me the only 2 issues I'd have is 1. Was is late and 2. was it high. I don't think either of these is a yes. He was committed to the tackle, yes it was ferociously hard but IMO borderline fair with the caveats on lateness and height, if you judge it to be either then fair enough, high you're probs looking at a RC and if you think it's late I'd prob be looking at a YC. Rugby is inherently a dangerous sport. You can do nothing wrong and still come off seriously injured. I broke my arm taking the ball into a tackle. Had the ball in 2 arms across the top of my belly, tackler came in and hit my lower arm and it snapped. Does that mean that he wasn't in control and obviously because I broke my arm it was a dangerous tackle he deserved a RC? No. It was a perfectly legal tackle, I have no problem with it as the player that it happened to or as a ref. The same as the Ryno's tackle. Bit rough, tad bit late but was committed to the tackle and the height was on the chest.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post
    I'm sorry but this kind of hit is EXACTLY the reason that a lot of people watch rugby for. Yes there's the All Black style of rugby which is at times simply mesmorising. But at the same time the people want to see bit rib busting hits. As long as they're not high or massively late. For me the issue is the size difference. But there's nothing in the LotG that states it's illegal to tackle someone smaller than you. His foot is on the ground 1 step away, which is what coached. The cylinder tackle bags that are available encourage that kind of tackle. For me the only 2 issues I'd have is 1. Was is late and 2. was it high. I don't think either of these is a yes. He was committed to the tackle, yes it was ferociously hard but IMO borderline fair with the caveats on lateness and height, if you judge it to be either then fair enough, high you're probs looking at a RC and if you think it's late I'd prob be looking at a YC. Rugby is inherently a dangerous sport. You can do nothing wrong and still come off seriously injured. I broke my arm taking the ball into a tackle. Had the ball in 2 arms across the top of my belly, tackler came in and hit my lower arm and it snapped. Does that mean that he wasn't in control and obviously because I broke my arm it was a dangerous tackle he deserved a RC? No. It was a perfectly legal tackle, I have no problem with it as the player that it happened to or as a ref. The same as the Ryno's tackle. Bit rough, tad bit late but was committed to the tackle and the height was on the chest.
    Hmm, think you might need to look again or re-calibrate. If you want to hit hard, that hard then you need to execute it perfectly, timing, height, everything perfectly. He didn't (ball gone, both kickers feet off the ground, both the tacklers feet were off the ground so unable to change or adjust) that made it dangerous, therefore Red Card.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    both the tacklers feet were off the ground
    is that a thing?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    is that a thing?
    I think it is if you're considering recklessness, like joining a ruck, if you're feet are on the ground you have the ability to adjust / change direction / get out of the way, if you launch yourself superman style, feet off the ground you're done, committed, that's it - do that and make a legal, perfectly timed, safe tackle and good for you, but if something changes in front of you and you can't react then you could be in trouble

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    I think it is if you're considering recklessness, like joining a ruck, if you're feet are on the ground you have the ability to adjust / change direction / get out of the way, if you launch yourself superman style, feet off the ground you're done, committed, that's it - do that and make a legal, perfectly timed, safe tackle and good for you, but if something changes in front of you and you can't react then you could be in trouble
    I think that's a good starting point (maybe not for a ruck where you are supposed to be on your feet when joining) for reckless play

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by KoolFork View Post
    I think that's a good starting point (maybe not for a ruck where you are supposed to be on your feet when joining) for reckless play
    Tell the professionals that!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR

Assuming not regarded as late or high then there was nothing wrong in law other than perhaps tackling player in the air. But where do we draw the line. In my career I have been tackled numerous times while in mid-stride and not been in contact with the floor and done the same to others. I can’t understand why he left the ground to kick the ball. You get more drive/power/control by remaining in contact with the floor.
    If the kicker had remained on the floor would the ‘offender’ have received a more lenient sentence? Do we now need to back out of charging a ball down in case the kicker leaves the floor at the last moment? Are kickers now going to be coached to jump into the air to see if they can milk a penalty?
    What would we have said if he had actually charged the ball down and continued to have made contact like he did?
    As I have said in a previous post, it is not something we want to see in the game if we want youngsters to be encouraged to come into the game by parents. But if we don’t want this sort of incident happening again we (WR) need to look closely at the laws that apply to these situations. Apart from when running and being lifted in a lineout feet must be on the ground at all times? Players must take into account size differentials when taking a particular action?

Guilty in the court of public opinion.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Assuming not regarded as late or high then there was nothing wrong in law other than perhaps tackling player in the air. But where do we draw the line. In my career I have been tackled numerous times while in mid-stride and not been in contact with the floor and done the same to others. I can’t understand why he left the ground to kick the ball. You get more drive/power/control by remaining in contact with the floor.
    If the kicker had remained on the floor would the ‘offender’ have received a more lenient sentence? Do we now need to back out of charging a ball down in case the kicker leaves the floor at the last moment? Are kickers now going to be coached to jump into the air to see if they can milk a penalty?
    What would we have said if he had actually charged the ball down and continued to have made contact like he did?
    As I have said in a previous post, it is not something we want to see in the game if we want youngsters to be encouraged to come into the game by parents. But if we don’t want this sort of incident happening again we (WR) need to look closely at the laws that apply to these situations. Apart from when running and being lifted in a lineout feet must be on the ground at all times? Players must take into account size differentials when taking a particular action?

Guilty in the court of public opinion.
    There is no way anyone could seriously consider that a charge down. He targeted the man.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Thread Information