Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contest in the air or deliberately knocked dead

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8

Default Contest in the air or deliberately knocked dead

Red attacking and are 10 metres out from blue's goal line. A high kick is coming down between the posts and 1 metre into the in goal. Red 14 and Blue 15 leap into the air to contest the ball. Red 14 has judged it perfectly and appears to have 2 hands under the ball. Blue 15, appears in a weaker position but manages to reach out above his head with only one hand and taps the ball backwards. It rebounds down to the ground and the backwards momentum given by Blue 15s tap makes the ball roll backwards over the dead ball line. Note , it is NOT knocked directly dead or directly into touch.

So do I give a 22DO or a penalty try for deliberately knocking the ball dead .?

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Contest in the air or deliberately knocked dead

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    Red attacking and are 10 metres out from blue's goal line. A high kick is coming down between the posts and 1 metre into the in goal. Red 14 and Blue 15 leap into the air to contest the ball. Red 14 has judged it perfectly and appears to have 2 hands under the ball. Blue 15, appears in a weaker position but manages to reach out above his head with only one hand and taps the ball backwards. It rebounds down to the ground and the backwards momentum given by Blue 15s tap makes the ball roll backwards over the dead ball line. Note , it is NOT knocked directly dead or directly into touch.

22 I hope!

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

9.7 A player must not:
    a.[...]
    b. Intentionally knock, place, push or throw the ball with arm or hand from the playing area.
    c. [...]

Is that what he did (in your opinion)?
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8

Well, I am sure Blue 15 was making an effort to disrupt Red's attempted catch and score. Blue 15 only had a palm of 1 hand near the ball and managed to tap it backwards before Red took it into his arms.
    My query is, because it bounced BEFORE it rolled dead, I cannot give a penalty right ?
    Contrast that with, say, the ball being 1 metre from the dead ball line, and Blue taps the ball directly dead : In this case, I have seen a penalty try given for knocking the ball dead. ?
    OR is it one of those occasions where we must assess "intent" ? Did he intentionally knock the ball dead or did he intend to knock it back in order to re-gather the ball from the ground ?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

surely dead is dead?

or is this another rewrite cockup, or just a nuance over the word "directly" ?

didds

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Are you saying that if a player intentionally threw the ball to touch but it bounced before the line that that would be fine? I don't think so.

If it looked like a fair challenge,22DO. If it C&O looked like intentionally killing the ball, PT.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Well, I am sure Blue 15 was making an effort to disrupt Red's attempted catch and score. Blue 15 only had a palm of 1 hand near the ball and managed to tap it backwards before Red took it into his arms.
    My query is, because it bounced BEFORE it rolled dead, I cannot give a penalty right ?
    Contrast that with, say, the ball being 1 metre from the dead ball line, and Blue taps the ball directly dead : In this case, I have seen a penalty try given for knocking the ball dead. ?
    OR is it one of those occasions where we must assess "intent" ? Did he intentionally knock the ball dead or did he intend to knock it back in order to re-gather the ball from the ground ?
    Bounce makes no difference
    Yes you have to decide on intention

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6

One hand in the air shows little intention to catch the ball, but to disrupt the actions of the Red player.

If the Blue players hand tapped it backward, rather than the ball bouncing of the hand, then IMO you need to award a PT and YC
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8

Quote Originally Posted by beckett50 View Post
    One hand in the air shows little intention to catch the ball, but to disrupt the actions of the Red player.

If the Blue players hand tapped it backward, rather than the ball bouncing of the hand, then IMO you need to award a PT and YC
    But , if that happens near half-way, tapping the ball backwards with one hand is a good tactic to attempt to re-gain possession.
    SO, I guess , that same technique cannot be risked in the in-goal area. Seems strange.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Perhaps depends on how close you are to the DBL
    In many pitches there is plenty of room to safely tap back

Thread Information