Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: How are the RWC refs doing so far ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: How are the RWC refs doing so far ?

Angus Gardner did himself no harm at all in that game. ..

Perhaps he will get a QF

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

Great game, well managed and such commitment and desire from Japan! Shame they didn't go for the simpler drop goal off the last scrum, that would have certainly put the cat right in the middle.

Good to see more focus on the offside line at rucks, although Schmidt didn't seem to like that.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Quote Originally Posted by BikingBud View Post
    The TMO's first comment is about the grounding of red's arm not the "tackle" he has already dismissed that action!
    1.38, he confirms an arm coming round in the tackle.

Interesting, I couldn't see JAP-IRE, just followed a text feed until the last few minutes, and there was a lot of criticism of the reffing, particularly offside at the ruck! I'm looking forward to seeing the match even more now.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

I think the issue is was he consistent in his reffing the offside with both teams. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. AG will have a gander at it in his review, no doubt.

Joe Schmidt refused to be drawn on the matter, saying he would use official channels to make his concerns known to the refereeing body. Which is like Joe, only he was alot more vocal about Angus Gardner’s shortcomings after Ireland’s defeat to Wales in the Six Nations earlier in the year.

The penalty count was 6 - 9 in favour of the hosts. But they were on the front foot for much of the match.
    Obviously last time we had Angus it wasn't great for us," said Schmidt. "We didn't play particularly well but we didn't feel we got a lot of the rub of the green either.'
    Not convinced he will get a QF. We will have to wait another fortnight for that announcement anyway.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 28-09-19 at 18:09.
    There are more ways of killing a dog than choking it with butter.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    Level 6+1

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    I think the issue is was he consistent in his reffing the offside with both teams.

Joe Schmidt refused to be drawn on the matter, saying he would use official channels to make his concerns known to the refereeing body. Which is like Joe, only he was alot more vocal about Angus Gardner’s shortcomings after Ireland’s defeat to Wales in the Six Nations earlier in the year.

The penalty count was 6 - 9 in favour of the hosts. But they were on the front foot for much of the match.

Not convinced he will get a QF.
    Isn’t that the type of quote that normally gets you hot under the collar when Eddie Jones makes them....

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

I think the issue is was he consistent in his reffing the offside with both teams. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. AG will have a gander at it in his review, no doubt.

Not convinced he will get a QF. We will have to wait another fortnight for that announcement anyway.
    He mentioned it on the hot debrief directly after the game but maybe had a think before the later discussion. Either way reffing of the offside line is not an issue, that is to be applauded. The issue is the lack of application from many other refs and the stifling effect it has on attacking play.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Japan were very disciplined. I thought. They played to ref

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA

Arrow Re: How are the RWC refs doing so far ?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Warren View Post
    Isn’t that the type of quote that normally gets you hot under the collar when Eddie Jones makes them....
    If you can show me what is derogatory in any way in what Joe Schmidt said, I will answer that.
    Eddie Jones’ comments that will get to me are stuff like referring to
    Ireland as the 'scummy Irish' and Wales as a 'little shit place'
    The kind of controversial remarks he is happy to make oh so regularly on TV, but wouldn’t every be so rude as to say it to people’s faces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Jones
    We played 23 tests and only lost one to the scummy Irish.
    He really should revise his stats, of 5 games played against Ireland under Eddie, England have lost two.
    He insulted the USA Eagles as 15 Donald Trumps. And Tonga as Stoke City. Who does he think he is? Other than a short-arsed balding 59 year old? Rugby is about respect for the opposition, it is unacceptable that the RFU tolerate this trash talk for one of their staff.
    I am not alone in thinking Eddie Jones is a disrespectful little man always coming out with disparaging comments.

Nobody has ever accused Joe Schmidt of that to my knowledge. YMMV

@BikingBud My understanding is that JS and several Irish players felt the offside was being policed differently for them, than it was being for their opponents.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 28-09-19 at 22:09.
    There are more ways of killing a dog than choking it with butter.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

But what about your observation?

You said earlier:
    I think the issue is was he consistent in his reffing the offside with both teams
    So in your opinion was AG applying the offside law correctly and fairly? And therefore deserves a or not?

As you seem to be making more about what JS said about it than providing your considered opinion upon how AG reffed it?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

If you can show me what is derogatory in any way in what Joe Schmidt said, I will answer that.
    Eddie Jones’ comments that will get to me are stuff like referring to
    The kind of controversial remarks he is happy to make oh so regularly on TV, but wouldn’t every be so rude as to say it to people’s faces. He really should revise his stats, of 5 games played against Ireland under Eddie, England have lost two.
    He insulted the USA Eagles as 15 Donald Trumps. And Tonga as Stoke City. Who does he think he is? Other than a short-arsed balding 59 year old? Rugby is about respect for the opposition, it is unacceptable that the RFU tolerate this trash talk for one of their staff.
    I am not alone in thinking Eddie Jones is a disrespectful little man always coming out with disparaging comments.

Nobody has ever accused Joe Schmidt of that to my knowledge. YMMV

@BikingBud My understanding is that JS and several Irish players felt the offside was being policed differently for them, than it was being for their opponents.
    In this case Joe is being snide.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Thread Information