Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about off the feet in a ruck.

Probationer Member

Soc/Assoc
    USA Rugby
    Grade
    Level 1

Default Question about off the feet in a ruck.

I was playing in a 15s match this weekend and I was in support of my teammate carrying the ball, he got tackled and went to ground and the tackler immediately rolled away. I went over my teammate and stumbled a bit but went to my hands directly over him. I made no contact with an opposing player and never fell all the way to ground but the ref knocked me for an off the feet in a ruck penalty. I thought it was a bad call because I never lost control completely and never hit an opposing player. Since I didn't touch anyone else, would that even be considered a ruck that I could be called off my feet for, even if I would have fallen or dove over?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Question about off the feet in a ruck.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This all depends on context and other things happening around you. For example, did your presence prevent an opponent from having the opportunity to jackal the ball, even if he never made contact with you? How quickly did you move out of the way once you'd fallen over?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Sounds like it wasn't a ruck, but you may have been judged as sealing off the ball and preventing contest.

It may also have been a more general thing that people were diving over too much (or it was an attention point for the ref and early in the game) and he wanted to send a message that all players need to stay on their feet.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade

Welcome. From your description you seem to have gone off your feet, so by that you are liable to be penalised. Ignore how this is managed in TV rugby. And as said by others the ref may have judged that as material in preventing a contest for the ball.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London North
    Grade
    Level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Brichards20 View Post
    I was playing in a 15s match this weekend and I was in support of my teammate carrying the ball, he got tackled and went to ground and the tackler immediately rolled away. I went over my teammate and stumbled a bit but went to my hands directly over him. I made no contact with an opposing player and never fell all the way to ground but the ref knocked me for an off the feet in a ruck penalty. I thought it was a bad call because I never lost control completely and never hit an opposing player. Since I didn't touch anyone else, would that even be considered a ruck that I could be called off my feet for, even if I would have fallen or dove over?
    I think I'm speaking on behalf of the majority of referees here. If you overbalance at a tackle or ruck and end up with both your hands on the ground beyond the ball I'm going to ping you every time. Sounds harsh I know, but I'm not sure what other options we have.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by AKavanagh614 View Post
    I think I'm speaking on behalf of the majority of referees here. If you overbalance at a tackle or ruck and end up with both your hands on the ground beyond the ball I'm going to ping you every time. Sounds harsh I know, but I'm not sure what other options we have.
    If it has no material impact then you have the option to manage it.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

Perhaps at the upper levels, but at the lower community level I don't wish to be blowing my whistle that often, or to stop there being some competition for the ball. If you over-balance / put hands down, then I expect you to stop competing for the ball, and the opposition get to continue the game.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    Perhaps at the upper levels, but at the lower community level I don't wish to be blowing my whistle that often, or to stop there being some competition for the ball. If you over-balance / put hands down, then I expect you to stop competing for the ball, get out of the way and the opposition get to continue the game.
    just added my bit in red

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Context surely? If a player overbalances or is pushed off feat by a team mate, but there's no one from the opposition there to contest then potentially play on, if same happens and there is someone there to contest then I'd be aiming for 'lost now' of similar call from me and allow the ball away. If the player (or his team mates) don't let that happen, or the speed the opposition can get the ball away is massively slowed down then sure, arm out and ping. And all of the above, and how long you allow, will depend on the level of the game.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

CR, why did you 'dislike' my post #8?

Thread Information