Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone think the 20/21 season will start?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Does anyone think the 20/21 season will start?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post

The referees, on the other hand, are getting ready to strike.
    Over CoVid, or something else ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I'm somewhat presuming this thread is UK centric (my earlier response was about the UK/England anyway! :-) )... are /will they be playing in NZ seeing as NZ is "covid free" etc for example?
    In New South Wales most amateur comps are coming to and end after generally playing half seasons (one round rather than home & away).

Shute Shield has a few weeks to go

Most community cricket comps are due to start on 10th or 17th October

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

There have been a number of online update meetings for NP and Division officials this last week or so. What I got from this update was that we are not in a position to make any sort of decision on a restart date or what exactly the structure of the season would look like When it does. I.e. leagues or just friendlies or even some sort of area/zonal games for those teams higher up the pyramid. The focus is simply on working at the particular level at which the return plan is at. (D) Some online development work is going to take place over the next month or so in preparation for when the restart whenever it is. At this stage it is not known what alterations to the laws we will be using to cope with C-19. The recent online meeting suggested that the women’s professional game will hope to start in a couple of months and some appropriate level officials will be informed soon whether they will be required. Including coaches and performance reviewers.
    The position is very much a monitoring one and responding appropriately as the national picture develops. No definite dates have been proposed. As far as the community game is concerned at a local level no definite date has been suggested other than the local society is of the opinion that the season will not start meaningfully until ‘at least’ the 1st Jan. And that is being optimistic based on recent rises in cases etc.
    What has been stressed is that at all levels there will not be any compulsion/expectation for officials to return if they don’t want to and any reluctance will not affect their future development or progress. What we don’t know is how many teams will have enough players to actually enable a return, especially to a league structure at community level.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Bay of Plenty
    Grade
    Secondary School

I'm somewhat presuming this thread is UK centric (my earlier response was about the UK/England anyway! :-) )... are /will they be playing in NZ seeing as NZ is "covid free" etc for example?
    We had a shortened club/school season this year. Secondary school has just finished while clubs had their finals a few weeks ago. I think clubs played about 10 weeks or so, about half normal season. Schools about the same as normal, just later in the year.

I don't know about Auckland though. They've been on a different alert level to the rest of us.

Pro rugby has been crowd free for past 6-8 weeks or so. Back to usual now (except Auckland who have to wait another 2 weeks).

Tests start up next month v Australia.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

In Holland (with cases climbing heavily, hospitalisations marginally, and an increase in lockdown measures) the top league (~level 5-6 RFU) is starting this weekend, the rest the weekend after.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    THere is unlikely to be a vaccination for a considerable time - we are still waiting for one for other CV strains eg the common cold. The flu vaccine is only varrient specific, Normal life has to resume before then.

That said there will be no meaningful season for anything but the "elite" level this season.
    There are several vaccines undergoing stage three testing at present. AIUI Covid-19 is a specific variation (with some minor subvariations?).
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Over CoVid, or something else ?
    Some, individually, will refuse to referee because of CoVid.
    Referee Societies have been asked to not register....it's a long story about USA R governance and restructure that's long and boring.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    There are several vaccines undergoing stage three testing at present. AIUI Covid-19 is a specific variation (with some minor subvariations?).
    Varient specific. So as Covid mutates the vaccine becomes pretty ineffective. it will mutate. But, in time as with the 1918 Spanish flu it will subside.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2

Our Mitre 10 Cup (the level below Super Rugby, but which contains all the contracted Super Rugby players) started two weeks ago. This W.E. is the first time we will be allowed full stadia everywhere but Auckland and North Harbour.

Tasman is playing in Nelson on Saturday, and have my tickets... expecting quite a big crowd
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Thread Information