Thread: Thank God! At last Nigel Owens enforces (Caterpillar) Law - Use it

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    HRURS
    Grade
    6 - Retired

Default Thank God! At last Nigel Owens enforces (Caterpillar) Law - Use it

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-seen-19003756

Well done Nigel for enforcing the law having called "Use It" and then called a scrum.

Hopefully others will follow and we will get a quicker game. What do you thing?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Thank God! At last Nigel Owens enforces (Caterpillar) Law - Use it

The 'use it' instruction was introduced to stop a team winding down the clock by holding the ball stationery at the back of a ruck with nothing happening.

My view is that a team bringing more players into the ruck for a tactical purpose (caterpillar or not) is, in fact, 'using it'.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    The 'use it' instruction was introduced to stop a team winding down the clock by holding the ball stationery at the back of a ruck with nothing happening.

My view is that a team bringing more players into the ruck for a tactical purpose (caterpillar or not) is, in fact, 'using it'.
    I think it's a blight on the game, and is one of the reasons I prefer NRL to most of the Union currently available on TV. If a scrum half can't get a box kick away from the back of the ruck without it being three body lengths long, then two things needs to happen:

Referees need to enforce the back foot law, and scrum halves need to improve their technique.

Union is some kind of spiral with laws and applications: all these changes of emphasis, or the messing about with scrum stuff, is happening simply because Elite referees have failed to enforce basic laws.

Fail to enforce back foot law - fringers encroach - 9 decides he needs more protection - long caterpillars - being forced to use it when told. Stuff that wasn't necessary years ago.

Sort out the first bit and the rest of the chain colapses.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

plus if everyone was on their feet, a counter ruck would be possible, and the ball wouldn't be safe at the back of a ruck -- you'd want to use it quicklyl

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Well done Nigel! Only another 100 laws* for you to read ip on and add to your arsenal.

* hyperbole for effect.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

If everyone was bound properly, joining from the right direction, and playing the ball back to the waiting scrum half with their feet then I’d agree with you - what we see currently is a deliberate non contest, against the laws and boring for me

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    If everyone was bound properly, joining from the right direction, and playing the ball back to the waiting scrum half with their feet then I’d agree with you - what we see currently is a deliberate non contest, against the laws and boring for me
    Agreed. The point of "use it" was to get the ball back in play once the contest is over. This tactic works directly against that.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Referees have been instructed to call ‘use it’ as soon as the ball is available. This should mean that there is not much time to create the ‘caterpillar’. If the team in possession want to attach three, four or five players etc to the ruck they can do it but they still have to play the ball within five seconds.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    have to play the ball within five seconds.
    Here's the nub. What does "play the ball" mean?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Blog Entries

Here's the nub. What does "play the ball" mean?
    The I think the definition of "play the ball" is in Reg 17 along with "use it", and "chargedown".

Thread Information