Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offside at LO - change in law?

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Default Offside at LO - change in law?

As I learnt it and understand it, the 10m offside line for non-participating players at a line-out lasts until the lineout is over - ball passed out or maul past the LoT. Looking in the lawbook today, I see law 18.36:

"Once the ball has been thrown in by a team-mate, players who are not participating in the lineout may move forward. If that occurs, then their opponents may also move forward."

Did I miss something, or am I misreading?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Offside at LO - change in law?

It refers to long throws -- the full wording is
    Once the ball has been thrown in by a team-mate, players who are not participating in the lineout may move forward. If that occurs, then their opponents may also move forward. If the ball does not go beyond the 15-metre line, the players will not be liable to sanction if they immediately retire to their respective offside lines.

In the olden days it used to be worded like this (which was much clearer)
    Long throw in. If the player who is throwing in throws the ball beyond the 15-metre line, a
    player of the same team may run forward to take the ball as soon as the ball leaves the
    hands of the player throwing in. If that player does so, opponents may also run forward. If a
    player runs forward to take a long throw in, and the ball is not thrown beyond the 15-metre
    line, this player is offside and must be penalised.
    Aside: interesting that in the old days it was one player who might move forward, now it's any number of players - that's a change I never noticed before. That rewrite is a gift that just keeps giving
    Last edited by crossref; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:09.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    As I learnt it and understand it, the 10m offside line for non-participating players at a line-out lasts until the lineout is over - ball passed out or maul past the LoT. Looking in the lawbook today, I see law 18.36:

"Once the ball has been thrown in by a team-mate, players who are not participating in the lineout may move forward. If that occurs, then their opponents may also move forward."

Did I miss something, or am I misreading?
    Yes you did.

You didn't quote the whole law. This only applies to throws over 15m.

Once the ball has been thrown in by a team-mate, players who are not participating in the lineout may move forward. If that occurs, then their opponents may also move forward. If the ball does not go beyond the 15-metre line, the players will not be liable to sanction if they immediately retire to their respective offside lines.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Thanks for the replies, my mistake. It was the combination of 18.35 (setting the 10m line) followed by "once the ball..." that I read as consecutive, rather than 18.36 being a special case.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

I have noticed some teams using this tactic on their defensive 5M LOs. They only have to run 5M to catch the long throw, the attacking team have to run from 10M.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    I have noticed some teams using this tactic on their defensive 5M LOs. They only have to run 5M to catch the long throw, the attacking team have to run from 10M.
    Risk and reward. Reward is quick possession for the defending team. Risk - a non-straight throw (not including the type Showbiz refs allow) giving an attacking scrum 5m from the try line and 15m in from touch.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    yes... its been a long standing tactic but I suspect not seen as much the further down the ladder one plays/refs/watches as the skill levels etc may lead to a wonky throw and a turn over. that said i see it reasonably often at L7 in RFUland.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

so no one else interested in the change from previously allowing only ONE player to run forward as the ball is thrown (to catch it) and now allowing ALL players to come forward as the ball is thrown ?

Wonder why they made that change Is it better like that ? worse?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

my guess its a change

* to reflect what was happening anyway
    * somebody realsied that "one" was a presumption way back in the 19th century when it was first included (or whatever).
    * its a deliberate simplification so a ref isnt having to add one more thing to consider if it was one or two or five, or the second player actually took one step forward, realised his mate was doing it, so stepped back etc etc etc

Perm any or all of the above
    Last edited by didds; 3 Weeks Ago at 16:09.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Maybe to remove the ambiguity of "a player" meaning "any player" or "one player" (although "that player" later implies they had a specific case in mind).

For example, 6.14: "The referee may alter a decision after a touch judge or an assistant referee has raised the flag to signal touch, touch-in-goal or an assistant referee has signalled foul play" does that imply that the referee may not alter a decision if both ARs signal foul play?

I can't see a particular reason to limit it to one, that seems more likely than the 12-year-old overlooking possibilities.

Thread Information