Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Offside at LO - change in law?

      
  1. #11

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,643

    Default Re: Offside at LO - change in law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    Maybe to remove the ambiguity of "a player" meaning "any player" or "one player" (although "that player" later implies they had a specific case in mind).

    For example, 6.14: "The referee may alter a decision after a touch judge or an assistant referee has raised the flag to signal touch, touch-in-goal or an assistant referee has signalled foul play" does that imply that the referee may not alter a decision if both ARs signal foul play?

    I can't see a particular reason to limit it to one, that seems more likely than the 12-year-old overlooking possibilities.
    No - there was no ambiguity - the old Law very specifically said
    - one single player could move forward
    - and not just just move forward either - he had to move specifically to take the ball.

    2016 LAW BOOK - long throw in. If the player who is throwing in throws the ball beyond the 15-metre line, a
    player
    of the same team may run forward to take the ball as soon as the ball leaves the
    hands of the player throwing in. If that player does so, opponents may also run forward. If a
    player runs forward to take a long throw in, and the ball is not thrown beyond the 15-metre
    line, this player is offside and must be penalised.
    The current Law is also very clear with no ambuigity : multiple players may simply move forward

    It cannot be an accidental change, but I am scratching my head as to why bother

  2. #12

    Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    15,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Offside at LO - change in law?

    Because if you read the old law it was one player from the throwing in team but ALL the players from the other team (opponents in plural).

    Saying any player makes it more equitable.

    Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref


  3. #13

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,643

    Default Re: Offside at LO - change in law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Because if you read the old law it was one player from the throwing in team but ALL the players from the other team (opponents in plural).

    Saying any player makes it more equitable.
    good spot

  4. #14

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria -The North
    Grade
    Advisor/Assessor
    Join Date
    14 Mar 05
    Posts
    1,811

    Default Re: Offside at LO - change in law?

    [QUOTE=crossref;371491] If the ball does not go beyond the 15-metre line, the players will not be liable to sanction if they immediately retire to their respective offside lines.[/LAWS]

    OK, so if the ball does not go 15m and no Backs player of either team retires -and then the ball ends up in their hands (it happens), who do you penalise? You are supposed to penalise someone because they are all offside. Maybe you apply materiality or manage it?
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    (Groucho Marx)

  5. #15

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,810

    Default Re: Offside at LO - change in law?

    Quote Originally Posted by tim White View Post
    OK, so if the ball does not go 15m and no Backs player of either team retires -and then the ball ends up in their hands (it happens), who do you penalise? You are supposed to penalise someone because they are all offside. Maybe you apply materiality or manage it?
    could be interesting. Hooker throws in, backs sprint up. Before they have a chance to retire, ball is tapped back by lineout jumper to SH. Lineout is now over so offside line is the ball
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  6. #16

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    10,089

    Default Re: Offside at LO - change in law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    could be interesting. Hooker throws in, backs sprint up. Before they have a chance to retire, ball is tapped back by lineout jumper to SH. Lineout is now over so offside line is the ball
    compare and contrast ruck/maul/scrum where backs move into an offside position and before they retire the ball comes out of the ruck/maul/scrum?

    didds
    Last edited by didds; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:10.

  7. #17

    Referees in England
    ctrainor's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    7
    Join Date
    23 Jun 05
    Posts
    2,439

    Default Re: Offside at LO - change in law?

    [QUOTE=tim White;371520]
    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    If the ball does not go beyond the 15-metre line, the players will not be liable to sanction if they immediately retire to their respective offside lines.[/LAWS]

    OK, so if the ball does not go 15m and no Backs player of either team retires -and then the ball ends up in their hands (it happens), who do you penalise? You are supposed to penalise someone because they are all offside. Maybe you apply materiality or manage it?
    Manage it, would be my first option, especially if both teams encroach. Peep and reset the line with a warning.
    Ciaran Trainor

  8. #18

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,643

    Default Re: Offside at LO - change in law?

    [QUOTE=ctrainor;371526]
    Quote Originally Posted by tim White View Post

    Manage it, would be my first option, especially if both teams encroach. Peep and reset the line with a warning.
    You are misquoting me, I did not ask that question

  9. #19
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,357

    Default Re: Offside at LO - change in law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    could be interesting. Hooker throws in, backs sprint up. Before they have a chance to retire, ball is tapped back by lineout jumper to SH. Lineout is now over so offside line is the ball
    They're offside until they get back/are put onside, no?

  10. #20

    Referees in America
    Not Kurt Weaver's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Join Date
    11 Sep 08
    Posts
    2,236
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Offside at LO - change in law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    They're offside until they get back/are put onside, no?
    put onside by the opposition

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •