Thread: Return to Rugby in England, any experiences?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Default Return to Rugby in England, any experiences?

Looks like might have a game to ref in a few weeks under the Return to Rugby guidelines from the RFU.
    It is likely to be competitive between my two local teams with local bragging rights at stake..
    Has anyone out there got any hints,tips, experiences they would like to share?
    Last edited by ctrainor; 2 Weeks Ago at 19:10.
    Ciaran Trainor

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Default Re: Return to Rugby in England, any experiences?

I’ve not had a competitive game but have been helping coach our 2nd team / Colts combo (L8) and played a few practice games. Main one for me is comms, especially if the players haven’t had much practice, as basically they need to know what to to do. I used ‘touch’ for the first touch (when they can pass or keep going but not score), and ‘phase’ for the second touch when they have to stop dead and throw the ball up. Don’t be loose on this, or the pass from it being less than 2m, the whole point of this phase is to slow the game down (they get fast ball on the first touch).

Otherwise, like all touch games, everyone has played different rules, so make sure everyone is clear on the specifics for that game (eg where is the attacking zone, and any other agreed tweaks. Position wise I try to be on the gain line which helps you mark and hold the defensive line.

Enjoy though, it can be a pretty decent game, especially when things click and players start to work out the tactics that work.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Why are they all playing different rules? Touch has a specific rules set. http://www.englandtouch.org.uk/play/...lay/the-rules/

It is far mor akin to league. Iagree with Flish mark the 10 and let te attack come forward. No need to get in close. It is an excellent fitness workout for you!

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

is there a link somewhere for the RFUland touch beign played this month?

cheers

didds

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

cheers!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Sorry for the confusion, it is the Ready4Rugby game that Flish posted
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

1. Get both teams operating under the same framework! The rules (deliberate word) are written for club training games, not a competitive fixture or tournament. Particular lacuni include:

a. What happens at a Phase within 2m of the GL? Virtually impossible to defend as, unlike Touch, players can dive to score. Either take back 2m, or do not permit receiver to score (probably better idea).
    b. What happens when a Phase occurs In Goal? Suggest Turnover.

2. 'Simultaneous' touches, when two tackles occur at same time. Does that count as a Phase, or as one Tackle? What is 'simultaneous'? Requires clear vocal management. (One (young) team had been coached to call the tackle number as they made it - when two tacklers both called 'one' it was easy for the referee!)

3. Control the level of contact - some teams/individuals can be more physical in their 'touch tackle' than others. Is light pushing e.g. into Touch allowed?

4. Positioning - good to set the offside lines (2m or 5m) with your position, having made an obvious 'mark' for the Attacking Team (defined as in possession of the ball) to play from. Thereafter touch tackles from behind tend to be the hardest to confirm (tacklers must claim the touch, but false claims are tempting).

5. You will use your voice a lot (usual early season post-match hoarseness) and will be constantly on the move (we had 8 min games (no HT) in a Tournament; I covered 0.9 - 1.1km each match).

6. Like Flish's calls ("Touch" and "Phase") but with the addition of Phase Number, to keep both yourself and the players up to speed. Easy to forget that their are two major phases: 4 Phases to get into the Attacking Zone (well defined), and then a further 4 to score.

7. Make sure that the GL is well known (pitch is max 80m long) - in spite of lines marked across the pitch in the first matches players ran on to the normal GL (in line with posts), and so went dead. We quickly added cones to this new line.

8. As one touch tackle does not stop the ball carrier, be prepared for the first touch to occur on halfway (or further back) and the ball carrier to continue into In Goal, where he passes to another support player to score. It's very strange at first! Defenders tended not to 'cover' this support player, which they would be entitled to do.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable, active afternoon replacement for the proper game. More than happy to do again.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

1) I was encouraging them to take it back 5 if they want more space (Like Touch)
    2) For me if two players then we get quick calls of touch, then phase (two tackles), becomes part of the tactics as they learn they can 'take the touch' and keep going for the first one, so putting two 'tacklers' in gets rewards (but leaves space)
    3) Yes, early doors, this is not 'training touch'
    4) Ask them to hand up claim for the touch, it helps (and gives you an out if they claim touch but didn't call it)
    5) Yup
    6) Agree, I do call Phase then number, last phase as approriate, also on touch a call to remind them they can't score if appropriate, and call it when in the attacking zone
    7) Yup
    8) Again Yup, see (2) there are tactics to this game with rewards, this is one

Also kicking, use your head height, it's consistent!

I enjoy reffing it, definitely a good pre-season blast

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Thanks CHBG and Flish. Attended club training session and enjoyed it as did the players when we all got to grips with the rules.
    As you've said hard work.
    Teams have unlimited subs, I won't have that luxury!
    Ciaran Trainor

Thread Information