Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Peter O'Mahony Yellow Card

      
  1. #41

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,817

    Default Re: Peter O'Mahony Yellow Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Interesting!

    Can someone give me an example of a yellow card given for an offence that is NOT foul play?
    cynical infringement
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  2. #42

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,504

    Default Re: Peter O'Mahony Yellow Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    cynical infringement

    No, that would be a deliberate infringement, which is foul play

    Law 9.7 A player must not:
    a. Intentionally infringe any law of the game.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

  3. #43

    Referees in Australia
    Dickie E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    19 Jan 07
    Posts
    12,817

    Default Re: Peter O'Mahony Yellow Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    No, that would be a deliberate infringement, which is foul play

    Law 9.7 A player must not:
    a. Intentionally infringe any law of the game.
    OK. I see where you're coming from.

    In the document you have referred to they have erroneously used the word 'foul' when what they really mean is 'dangerous'.

    But I suspect you know that.
    Last edited by Dickie E; 1 Week Ago at 07:10.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

  4. #44
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    1,357

    Default Re: Peter O'Mahony Yellow Card

    I suspect the most common example and the one they had in mind is repeated infringements - yes, reading literally the card is for foul play, but the offence the team is being punished for is usually technical.

    Am I the only one to find it odd that Obstruction has its own section in foul play, while there are obstruction-like laws (blocking off defensive play by sealing off the breakdown, say, is basically covered by 9.4; coming in from the side is often similar) in the rest of the "technical" section. And cards for obstruction are pretty rare and only for cynical play in the red zone, IME. Any ideas why this is?

  5. #45

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,504

    Default Re: Peter O'Mahony Yellow Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    OK. I see where you're coming from.

    In the document you have referred to they have erroneously used the word 'foul' when what they really mean is 'dangerous'.

    But I suspect you know that.

    I confirm your suspicion.

    If you look at the Laws, the only place outside Law 9 that mentions the word 'yellow card' is the Definitions. Law 9 is the referee's authority to give them, so all YC must therefore be for Foul Play. Even repeated infringements are Foul Play in the Definitions.

    Foul play: Anything a player does within the playing enclosure that is contrary to Law 9
    governing obstruction, unfair play, repeated infringements, dangerous play and misconduct.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    Am I the only one to find it odd that Obstruction has its own section in foul play, while there are obstruction-like laws (blocking off defensive play by sealing off the breakdown, say, is basically covered by 9.4; coming in from the side is often similar) in the rest of the "technical" section. And cards for obstruction are pretty rare and only for cynical play in the red zone, IME. Any ideas why this is?
    You're not alone

    Under the general heading of "if I ran the asylum" one of the things I would have done in the rewrite is to define "Dangerous Play" and "Foul Play" separately.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 1 Week Ago at 08:10.
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

  6. #46

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    18,653

    Default Re: Peter O'Mahony Yellow Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post

    Under the general heading of "if I ran the asylum" one of the things I would have done in the rewrite is to define "Dangerous Play" and "Foul Play" separately.
    Law 9 would be Foul Play
    Law 10 would be Dangerous Play

    all the Laws following would be re-numbered

    The Law numbering would be back to how it should be ....

    I like it

  7. #47
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,913

    Default Re: Peter O'Mahony Yellow Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    OK. I see where you're coming from.

    In the document you have referred to they have erroneously used the word 'foul' when what they really mean is 'dangerous'.

    But I suspect you know that.

    Yes they have badly, in terms of the laws, worded it. BUT, they used common sense in the wording as the common man would understand it.

  8. #48
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Join Date
    11 Apr 18
    Posts
    361

    Default Re: Peter O'Mahony Yellow Card

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Can someone give me an example of a yellow card given for an offence that is NOT foul play?
    11.3 A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm.

  9. #49

    Referees in New Zealand
    Ian_Cook's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    12 Jul 05
    Posts
    13,504

    Default Re: Peter O'Mahony Yellow Card

    Quote Originally Posted by mcroker View Post
    11.3 A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm.

    Nope, that is still foul play

    Law 9.7 A player must not:
    a. Intentionally infringe any law of the game.


    Law 11 does not give the referee authority to issue a YC for an intentional knock-forwards, only Law 9.29 and 9.30 does that?
    "You can Google for information, but you can't Google for understanding"
    - Jay Windley

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •