Thread: Does half-time end if PK is kicked dead ? Exeter v Bath

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8

Default Re: Does half-time end if PK is kicked dead ? Exeter v Bath

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    It's in the definitions (and used consistently)

.Kicked directly into touch: The ball is kicked into touch without first landing on the
    playing area or touching a player or the referee.
    Cheers. Yes - this is how I was interpreting it. I just wanted to make sure all other refs are consistent with this interpretation too. I had heard some were applying similar logic for a knock-on which bounces and then goes into touch i.e. the option of scrum or lineout is still available irrespective to the ball bouncing on the field before touch.
    Worth checking with folks.

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    If you wanted run down the sin-bin clock, and didn't want to kick for touch, why not take a scrum. They're usually good for wasting a few minutes!
    Thanks Ian. I think that highlights my point. If you choose a scrum you could be pinged for a PK and allow the team a chance to attack. i.e. the award of the PK would ensure the half is not ended.
    However, a kick at goal ( providing the kicker can guarantee to reach the dead ball line) would
    (a) Have a small chance of 3 points
    (b) Ensure you run down 60 seconds of the sin-bin and
    (c) Guarantee the half-is ended after the kick goes over the dead-ball line.

It was the (c) aspect which I wanted to check. I can infer from the consensus, that only if kicked "direct" to touch ( without a tap ) will cause the half to be extended.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    Cheers. Yes - this is how I was interpreting it. I just wanted to make sure all other refs are consistent with this interpretation too. I had heard some were applying similar logic for a knock-on which bounces and then goes into touch i.e. the option of scrum or lineout is still available irrespective to the ball bouncing on the field before touch.
    Worth checking with folks.
    it's quite an arcane point, I don't think it matters that much if we are consistent, as few are likely to see it in practice :-)

At community level teams usually double check with me before kicking : 'if I kick this into touch, we do get the lineout, right?' and then I say 'as long as it goes directly into touch, correct'
    Last edited by crossref; 1 Week Ago at 11:10.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria -The North
    Grade
    Advisor/Assessor

I think Ian was being sarcastic; on TV SO MUCH TIME IS WASTED OVER A SIMPLE THING LIKE A SCRUM. It's almost like the players are taking a rest (this is also sarcastic).

Can I suggest we introduce a '30 second rule' from when the whistle was last blown for the scrum for the ball to actually be put in -straight? (this last part is being sarcastic for the third time)
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    (Groucho Marx)

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by tim White View Post
    I think Ian was being sarcastic; on TV SO MUCH TIME IS WASTED OVER A SIMPLE THING LIKE A SCRUM. It's almost like the players are taking a rest (this is also sarcastic).

Can I suggest we introduce a '30 second rule' from when the whistle was last blown for the scrum for the ball to actually be put in -straight? (this last part is being sarcastic for the third time)

what is the sanction for not sioing so? and who is it against? if its a blanket ping against the putting in side then that's carte blanche for the oppo to conjure up a way to make thesn crum take > 30 seconds.

If the sanction is a scrum - that's not solved anythuing.

if its a FK - well that may well end up as a scrum - see above

If its a PK (or has become one for repeated infirngement from above) - that too can be taken as a scrum...

didds

Thread Information