Thread: rilling theball back with the hand

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Default rilling theball back with the hand

ISTR there was something about no longer beign permitted to roll the ball back with the hands in the ruck, and that it had to be done with the foot?

see the red #9 in yesterday's FRA v WAL game, seocnd half at leasrt (I missed the first half)...

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: rilling theball back with the hand

It was being policed recently but as far as I'm concerned it's a matter of getting on with it and if that means using the hands then so be it!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

As with all cases where a referee ignores the laws in the interest of "getting on with it" you need to ask why can't the players abide by the laws.

There is a prohibition against using hands in the ruck, so you are letting the scrum half commit a penalty offence.
    There is also an offside line, so even moving the ball with the feet is strictly a penalty, as they cannot be behind the back feet.
    And it is material - as the offending player is touching the ball.
    And of course, teams will take it to extremes - the caterpillar ruck.

According to the laws as written, only the players bound in should move the ball and should do so with their feet.
    And it should be safe, as the players off their feet should be endeavouring to get out of the way.

Generally, if the scrum half wants to reposition the ball, it is because they want to box kick and have not got enough space. So we let them break the law rather than commit another player to give more protection. Which of course means when the other side counter attacks there is one less gap for them to attack.

So by getting ignoring the law to get on with the game, you reduce space - resulting in more pointless kicking exchanges.

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

https://youtu.be/yf3NdyeGtgU?t=172

NO's (eventual) explanation of hands v feet to get the back to the back of a long ruck. Ironically, given that the players who arrive to elongate the ruck are generally the only players on their feet I've never worked out why the professional game doesnt insist on them actually rucking the ball rather than the scrum half moving to an offside position to retrieve the ball with his feet.

Thread Information