Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frances first try against Ireland - Should we have gone back for a lineout?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Netherlands
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Frances first try against Ireland - Should we have gone back for a lineout?

When I watched last weeks France v Ireland game I thought that the first French try should have been disallowed.
    It looked to me that the French winger who was chasing the ball jumped when already in touch, hit the ball back in-field and then landed in touch.
    At the time I said "Line-out !!"

I've eventually found a video clip and I think I am correct.

https://youtu.be/54KI-N_hQRg?t=505

Freeze this with 6:04 on the match clock and you see the wingers foot on the line before he jumps.
    Then freeze at 6:06 on the clock and he lands in touch.

Difficult call (and much easier to do as an armchair referee), but I'm surprised that this was missed.
    Last edited by Martin Doughty; 03-11-20 at 21:11.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Frances first try against Ireland - Should we have gone back for a lineout?

[QUOTE=Martin Doughty;371877
    .... hit the ball back in-field ...../QUOTE]

I think this is the relevant bit!!

Edit....and of course the plane of touch is relevant.

Can't view the video for some reason.
    Last edited by Decorily; 03-11-20 at 22:11.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default Re: Frances first try against Ireland - Should we have gone back for a lineout?

I saw the incident and agree that the jumper commenced and finished in touch. The problem is that it is not clear if the ball had crossed plane of touch. On balance of probability and looking at the jumper's body position, I would imagine that ball had crossed plane but can't be certain.

The best camera angle to show this would have been from head on which was not shown (maybe the French TV director didn't want to bother Wayne with such trifling matters )
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

If we cannot determine whether the ball is in touch with a team of four - what hope does the solo referee on the back pitch have.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I saw the incident and agree that the jumper commenced and finished in touch. The problem is that it is not clear if the ball had crossed plane of touch. On balance of probability and looking at the jumper's body position, I would imagine that ball had crossed plane but can't be certain.

The best camera angle to show this would have been from head on which was not shown (maybe the French TV director didn't want to bother Wayne with such trifling matters )
    Or maybe such an angle was not available? It is certainly the crucial point.
    18.2.d
    • The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:
      • [...]
      • A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it has not reached the plane of touch.

He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    RAFRURS
    Grade
    Level 10

Looks to me like the French jumper touched the ball then touched an Irish player who was in the field of play then went back into touch? It looks like he does to me but would this mean that he is in the field of play due to touching the Irish player before he then went out again?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

this is a poor law (IMO) we should take out the plane - which is hard to judge - and base call on the player's feet (easier to see) ..

my proposed law would allow the knock back provided that the player either started, or finished, in the FoP (or both) and disregard the plane.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

seems eminently sensible to me CR

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Or maybe such an angle was not available? It is certainly the crucial point.
    maybe but it became available seconds later as the backline move led to a French try
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    this is a poor law (IMO) we should take out the plane - which is hard to judge - and base call on the player's feet (easier to see) ..

my proposed law would allow the knock back provided that the player either started, or finished, in the FoP (or both) and disregard the plane.
    A player may be in touch and play the ball, provided it is not in touch.
    .I acknowledge that judging the plane is tricky, particularly at grassroots. However we have been playing under this law for a long time and I don't remember any significant problems. Maybe the benefits (keeping play going) outweigh the downside?
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Thread Information