Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refs returning after lockdown

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Default Refs returning after lockdown

Hopefully we can all see light at the end of the tunnel but I wonder how refs will feel about getting back to it?
    Generally refs are from an older age group who are more vulnerable.
    I'm 60 and relatively healthy but family members have medical conditions which make my decision to get back to it difficult.
    I'm hopeful I'll feel safe but not a simple decision.

I also wonder if some will be lost the game forever.
    Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Default Re: Refs returning after lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    Hopefully we can all see light at the end of the tunnel but I wonder how refs will feel about getting back to it?
    I'm 60 and relatively healthy but family members have medical conditions which make my decision to get back to it difficult.

for me
    - not worried about the virus
    - am worried about loss of fitness, and loss of 'match sharpness' it feels a long time!

hopefully the players will be equally unfit and rusty :-)

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Personally not worried about the virus. Have refereed 4 games since September and once common sense is applied I don't believe the referee is unduly at risk!!

On a side note, here in IRFUland all referees MUST retire at 60 which leads to the loss of many hugely experienced individuals.
    Crazy in my opinion but what would I know! !!!!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post

On a side note, here in IRFUland all referees MUST retire at 60 which leads to the loss of many hugely experienced individuals.
    Crazy in my opinion but what would I know! !!!!
    is that even legal ? Seems ripe for a challenge by a group of 59 /60 yr old refs !

(aside: it's a rule that seems to mean 'we're too lazy to assess our refs properly')
    Last edited by crossref; 24-11-20 at 13:11.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

A spritely 44 here - and not too worried about fitness and mental sharpness as have been helping with my club adult training sessions (when they were on) which is a mix of L6 - L9 players - I do keep second guessing myself about law knowledge though, feels like some of the oddities are slipping away so will be very glad to get that first game back!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post

You will not be alone. Possibly up to 20% drop-out.

Although I wouldn't be refereeing any longer in Ireland (!), I am keen to get back out and get my refereeing fitness back. Had other sports to resume during the autumn, but will be making myself available at every opportunity. Having said that, the one time that I did wonder if I might have caught COVID was after an afternoon of refereeing Touch Rugby, just because of the proximity of the number of players. In reality, nothing arose. I can understand referees being particularly wary in Tier 2 & 3 areas.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

I've done a couple of adult/U18 matches here; even since the lockdown came back there are still occasional intra-club youth matches, as these are allowed. I noticed I was slightly rusty on some of the corner cases and unusual situations, I'm not 100% sure I'd get the right scrum decision straight after a kick in open play late in the match :P Given there's no training, I've been working on my fitness myself, and it's probably better than usual.

There's no changing or showering either side of the match, it's a case of turn up in kit and head home to shower. I don't shake hands with anyone, there's no physical contact with players, and since it's outdoors and I'm constantly moving around I'm not personally worried about catching the virus from the match. I'm more worried about how many people will drop out, not return, or not start, once this is over.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Im lucky in that NT has zero community cases, so reffing will be COVID-safe.

But: I haven’t reffed for a year. My only physical exercise recently has been walking and resistance bands. And it’s going to be VF hot, even at night.

This could be interesting.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Im lucky in that NT has zero community cases, so reffing will be COVID-safe.

But: I haven’t reffed for a year. My only physical exercise recently has been walking and resistance bands. And it’s going to be VF hot, even at night.

This could be interesting.
    what is the condition of the grounds?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Quebec Society of Rugby Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade

What is NT?

Thread Information