Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggar Taken in Air?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Biggar Taken in Air?

So again Biggar runs in with a high lateral speed and leaps recklessly into space occupied by other players and people want to protect him.

Why is he not yellow carded for his reckless endangerment?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55116705

As for the Welsh captain, even complained when he recieved a forward pass

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Default Re: Biggar Taken in Air?

Based on previous standards and decisions given I fully expected a penalty and saw it as a let off to England

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Biggar also jumped in another incident and completely missed the ball and clattered into a England player which could have been penalised.

Whilst I didn't think Romain had a good game I thought he got this right.
    If you run at speed, jump and catch the ball then collide with a stationary player on the ground for me it is play on.
    The player on the ground waiting to catch the ball has done nothing wrong.
    The IRB should issue a clarification.
    Biggar is good at this but he an others are clearly putting themselves and other players at risk by this action.

The other decision that he got right was the charge down.
    Had to check my law book but his explanation was spot on.
    Ciaran Trainor

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Based on previous standards and decisions given I fully expected a penalty and saw it as a let off to England
    I concur with Fish. Its an example of where Poite doesnt seem to be on the same page as the rest of the world's elite refs. For once this was a decent effort by Biggar - he did at least fully catch the kick with a pretty reasonable leap - not one of his throw myself somewhere in the region and hope . he did actually catch it after all.

Here is a link to youtube (assuming the game stays "up")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbFLjvkyqY8&t=1223
    Last edited by didds; 29-11-20 at 10:11.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Based on previous and recent interpretations of the law this should have been a penalty against England. That is not to say that I don’t support the idea that players behaving recklessly by throwing themselves into players while off the ground shouldn’t be penalised. Whether it be for possible injury to the opposition or to themselves. It’s an almost impossible situation to set a law on. Never leave the floor? The present situation of trying to protect player in the air from unnecessary damage/injury is the best we can do for now. At least in the last year or two we have moved towards allowing a fair competition in such circumstances but it will always be a difficult decision for the referee. In the incident in question this was not a difficult decision for the referee (or shouldn’t have been) if he had seen the replay.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    The player on the ground waiting to catch the ball has done nothing wrong.
    The IRB should issue a clarification.
    Ive been saying this (as have others - Ian ISTR) for ages. Although things seem to be a little more sensibel since the Finn Russell (I think?) red card a few years ago, nonetheless we have reacjhed the stage whereby the best kick is not into space but in fact directly at a defender, such that that player actually has to run AWAY from the point of landing (where they are already standubng, waiting) in order to not end up wearing a chasing player who has the benefit of monetum for a leap and earning a PK, and a card for doing nothing but standing waiting fior a kick coming straight at him/her.

didds

It seems ludicrous that

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Based on previous and recent interpretations of the law this should have been a penalty against England. That is not to say that I don’t support the idea that players behaving recklessly by throwing themselves into players while off the ground shouldn’t be penalised. Whether it be for possible injury to the opposition or to themselves. It’s an almost impossible situation to set a law on. Never leave the floor? The present situation of trying to protect player in the air from unnecessary damage/injury is the best we can do for now. At least in the last year or two we have moved towards allowing a fair competition in such circumstances but it will always be a difficult decision for the referee. In the incident in question this was not a difficult decision for the referee (or shouldn’t have been) if he had seen the replay.
    Like...............

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan

My solution would be to look at changing the ball to one that is less aerodynamic.
    Not necessarily the old wet leather - perhaps a lighter ball would be less stable.
    Anything to eliminate the tedious kicking and try to promote running with the ball.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

I not dissing the idea totally but that seems a little like the tail wagging the dog to me

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

Jump only vertical to catch as soon as you have a lateral component you relinquish protection?

If you jump across a line out you get penalised. If you jump straight and get taken out then penalty against opponent.

Is that too difficult?

Thread Information