Thread: Biggar Taken in Air?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Default Re: Biggar Taken in Air?

Quote Originally Posted by BikingBud View Post
    Jump only vertical to catch as soon as you have a lateral component you relinquish protection?

If you jump across a line out you get penalised. If you jump straight and get taken out then penalty against opponent.

Is that too difficult?
    Unfortunately yes. How can you measure vertical if you are going to be at an angle to the jump? Vertical in one plane but not another?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

I agree with ctrainor and others, I agree with Poite’s reading of it (how can you be at fault stood still on the ground?) I suspect he was ‘wrong’ in practice though

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Perhaps it should be agreed that if A is waiting to catch the ball, and B jumps to try and get there first, B is at fault if he lands on A. All B can do is flatten A as he makes the catch.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Unfortunately yes. How can you measure vertical if you are going to be at an angle to the jump? Vertical in one plane but not another?
    Is there another vertical?

How do you manage line outs?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Perhaps it should be agreed that if A is waiting to catch the ball, and B jumps to try and get there first, B is at fault if he lands on A. All B can do is flatten A as he makes the catch.
    Seems perfectly sensible, so will assume it’ll never happen

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

i believe this is in line with ian's (?) basketball anology ? And to be honest I see is eminently sensible. You get to the landing point first its your catch unless the oppo can beat you toit but NOT touch you even the eensiest teniest bit

Im sure it wont work in practise :-)

didds

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Yet to join
    Grade
    Select Grade

https://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread...l=1#post344340

Why won't it work?

Because people don't understand the law or because people don't want to understand the law?

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 7

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Ive been saying this (as have others - Ian ISTR) for ages. Although things seem to be a little more sensible since the Finn Russell (I think?) red card a few years ago, nonetheless we have reached the stage whereby the best kick is not into space but in fact directly at a defender, such that that player actually has to run AWAY from the point of landing (where they are already standubng, waiting) in order to not end up wearing a chasing player who has the benefit of monetum for a leap and earning a PK, and a card for doing nothing but standing waiting for a kick coming straight at him/her.

didds

It seems ludicrous that
    Finn Rusell got a red card and two week ban back in 2015 when Biggar landed on him when jumping for a ball. I noted on here at the time that I viewed it as dangerous play by Biggar and still consider this to be the case in such situations. A player running for a high ball with momentum and jumping high in the air without a clear knowledge of where or on whom they might land is reckless and dangerous in my view. The IRB really needs to sort this out before someone is seriously injured a situation that seems more likely with kick chase so much in vogue.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    My solution would be to look at changing the ball to one that is less aerodynamic.
    Not necessarily the old wet leather - perhaps a lighter ball would be less stable.
    Anything to eliminate the tedious kicking and try to promote running with the ball.
    our new law trials here are actively designed to encourage kicking:

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/0...au-law-changes
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Worth considering. Just need to sort out what is meant by 'waiting'. How static is 'waiting'. Any allowance made for adjusting for gusty wind etc? One step or two? Can you jump when the ball arrives?
    I just think that in an imprecise sport like rugby there would be 'faults' with any law relating to this aspect of play and any change would soon lead us to start discussing the inequities of other situations.

Thread Information