Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Thompson et al

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

Default Steve Thompson et al

Will the case(s) brought by Steve Thompson and others against the Union(s) mean the end of the game as we know it?
    Every sympathy to anyone suffering from dementia and similar diseases potentially caused by rugby injuries / practices but do players tacitly accept the risks when they take up the game, particularly if they turn professional?
    What can the game do to lessen the risks while still maintaining the essential nature of the game?
    Many other questions about this, association football, and NFL.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Default Re: Steve Thompson et al

There is a legal precept "Volenti non fit injuria", which basically says "if you accepted the normal risk of doing something, you cannot blame anybody else if you get hurt". The applicability in sport is hotly argued - particularly with respect to boxing.

Arguments rage around whether or not participants were really made aware of the risks etc. Applying today's standards to things that happened in the past is always fraught with problems.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

I started reffing after the 2003 RWC. Was a spectator before that and retired for some time from playing. What was the awareness at that time about the risks of Concussion. I was aware of it but not via rugby so amd unsure about the knowledge within the sport.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Just ex player

Surely everything else you do or have done must be taken into account. I had a brain tumour removed ten years ago, but I've Been an amateur boxer, martial artist and 3rd team prop. But for 25 years I used a two way radio for my job. Who would I sue ?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Well, I think they have a better than 0 chance of winning something.

As to whether that changes anything in the modern game, that is a separate question. This is a case based on historic practice, not modern ones.
    One telling point is that Barry ODriscoll has alleged that the WR changing of concussion protocols, from a three week sit down to a one week, was not grounded in any kind of science. His testimony will, if he is called, be hugely challenging for WR.

I suspect that the nature of the game will remain largely unchanged. Expect tighter HIA protocols, and at the Elite level some kind of mandate about the amount of contact work that can be done in practice.

(I will be honest though. Leigh Halfpenny can have no case to make here at all. 95% of all his head issues are because he refuses to amend his tackle technique and he puts his head in the wrong place)
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

The worrying thing about Halfpenny is this, why are the coaching staff telling him: "Sort it out or you're dropped!"?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

there is a lot of difference between the amateur game , and a professional where employment etc comes in

the issue for the pro game (I think) is the HIA -- a mechanism for returning players who have bashed their head back to the field of play

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    The worrying thing about Halfpenny is this, why are the coaching staff telling him: "Sort it out or you're dropped!"?

Yup. This entirely.

It has to be a deliberate policy by the player, and at least tacitly accepted by the entire staff surrounding him at both club and national level.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    I suspect that the nature of the game will remain largely unchanged. Expect tighter HIA protocols, and at the Elite level some kind of mandate about the amount of contact work that can be done in practice.
    they should get rid of the HIA and adopt the same rule as in community rugby : a player who suffers a bang on the head and/or displays symptoms of concussion should be removed from the game (recognise and remove). Unfortunately WR are unwilling to do that in the professional game, and we soldier on with the HIA, allowing such players to return to the pitch.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    they should get rid of the HIA and adopt the same rule as in community rugby : a player who suffers a bang on the head and/or displays symptoms of concussion should be removed from the game (recognise and remove). Unfortunately WR are unwilling to do that in the professional game, and we soldier on with the HIA, allowing such players to return to the pitch.
    I agree with Crossref 100% on this.

Thread Information