Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steve Thompson et al

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1

Default Re: Steve Thompson et al

This is a tough subject to comment on. But I do think concussion is something that medically has been known about for decades. Seems daft to me to not realise that repeated significant contacts to any part of the body won't have an affect. So for me I play, I accept the risks involved. No-one has spelled out the risks, they're quite obvious, to me anyway lol. It's a collision based sport, there is always gonna be risks.

I don't see much wrong with HIA protocols ATM. Unless the Clubs own Doctors are doing the assessment, as they'll have an expectation with any borderline results to err towards returning the player to benefit his/her employers. The HIAs if not already done so, need to be done by an appointed Doctor.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

There is a big difference between:

repeated significant contacts to the leg. Outcome possible muscle damage / broken bone

and

repeated significant contacts to the head. Outcome possible long term disability through brain damage.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Arabcheif View Post

I don't see much wrong with HIA protocols ATM. Unless the Clubs own Doctors are doing the assessment, as they'll have an expectation with any borderline results to err towards returning the player to benefit his/her employers. The HIAs if not already done so, need to be done by an appointed Doctor.
    they are done by the clubs own doctors, of course.

having appointed doctors would just raise different ethical issues : outside of an emergency situation a doctor can't just walk up and give treatment/diagnosis to a stranger. There are questions of consent, and the need to take a medical history etc. People have the right to be treated by their own doctor. Indeed a doctor would normally defer to the patient's own doctor. Doctors aren't match officials.

BTW - I am not making any claim that individual doctors are not doing the HIA properly. I suspect the whole idea of the HIA is misguded.
    Last edited by crossref; 14-12-20 at 15:12.

Thread Information