Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: missed something since lockdown

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge
    Grade
    Level 8

Question missed something since lockdown

Please can someone illuminate me about what professional referees are doing with the breakdown since September? Lots and lots of penalties for the player on the ground holding on, but none for the jackler, that I have seen, going off their feet in order to get their hands on the ball.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: missed something since lockdown

One focus point for referees this season is to reward the jackler quicker. Of course the jackler should be on their feet with 2 hands on the ball and in a strong position. .... clearly some of that doesn't always occur!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Normal this. Reward the team in possession. Then people complain so the is a 180 degree turn and reward the tacklers team. Next season it will be back the other way again.

Suggestion: Require all players at the breakdown to comply.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

90% ball retention at the breakdown I think is a good target. Less than that, team in possession will be encouraged to kick; more than that, team not is possession less likely to commit to breakdown and will clog backline
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

There should be a fair contest. If the ball carrying side wants 90% retention, they need to work at it.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I've got no particular problem with legislators asking for certain things to be focussed on, such as tacklers holding/rewarding jacklers, but this should not be to the detriment of application of other laws. Jacklers are frequently getting away with either not clearly releasing having been part of the tackle, putting hands down beyond the ball and coming back, or placing hands on the ball and making no attempt to play, pretending the tackled player is holding on. Needs referees to be zealous in application of all laws.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Exactly. ...in fairness "legislators " never asked that we ,referees, ignore other requirements (laws) when they ask for 'focus' on certain new elements of the game! !!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

You will see a lot more penalties against the ball carrier for doing an extra roll before presenting he ball, in effect coached and buying time for being isolated
    Ciaran Trainor

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    You will see a lot more penalties against the ball carrier for doing an extra roll before presenting he ball, in effect coached and buying time for being isolated
    and quite rightly too.

Which rather begs the quesation how this "tactic" was permitted in the first place?

Or if you like, if it was beign coached, and used, it was being permitted by people carrying a whistle. This wasnt only an elite thing either - I saw people coachig this to bloody U17s in the community gamne - so presumably it was being NOT penalised at U17s at community level. So that suggests it was a broadly accepted thing to do agreed across referees societies.

So whilst i agree it was beign coached and its insidious and frankly shit, nonetheless a huge tranche of rugby officials across the board was acceoting it as permissable. Including by defintion referees. Sio lets not pretend this is a one directional "thing" only incolving evil coaches.

didds
    Last edited by didds; 22-12-20 at 14:12.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I penalize it, and have to explain why, to bemused 17 year olds who are only doing what they have been coached

Thread Information