Thread: 5 worst ref decision

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: 5 worst ref decision

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Some on Twitter are claiming It didn’t go forward? But his hand was behind his leg, and it hit his leg, so ?!?
    some on Twitter are wrong. It went forward.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    some on Twitter are wrong.
    if only people had taken this view from the start, so many arguments could have been avoided...

Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by dave_clark View Post
    if only people had taken this view from the start, so many arguments could have been avoided...

I keep telling people at work there’d be a lot less arguments and things would be much easier if they just accept I’m right.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...knock-19932005

Nigel Owens gives his view: neither try should have been allowed.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Nigel is at risk of becoming the Welsh Kaplan
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

He certainly appears to have become rent a gob

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    He certainly appears to have become rent a gob
    Hasn’t he earned the right? Nigel has always been willing to discuss his decisions in the open (even if he was wrong and wouldn’t admit it) whereas professional referees in the other parts of the UK won’t openly engage. It appears to me that he is continuing to do what he has always done but is now being given a a wider platform by various media to discuss the decisions of other referees. He is now a pundit and all sports have their pundits to provide ‘expert’ insight to decisions made by officials and players/participants. Don’t we want expert pundits in our game? We do have a lot of so called experts who were only players pontificating on the laws when quite often (as shown on this forum) they haven’t got a clue what they are talking about. When they are talking about play making decisions and the action/skills of players I think we accept to a greater degree their opinion. Having an ‘expert’ referee giving his opinion can’t be a bad thing can it? He will be learning his trade and has to be careful that he doesn’t use ‘I wouldn’t/would have done that’ etc too much. Geoff Boycott comes to mind in this respect.
    So overall - early days in NO’s semi-retirement, let’s see how it goes.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Hasn’t he earned the right? Nigel has always been willing to discuss his decisions in the open (even if he was wrong and wouldn’t admit it) whereas professional referees in the other parts of the UK won’t openly engage. It appears to me that he is continuing to do what he has always done but is now being given a a wider platform by various media to discuss the decisions of other referees. He is now a pundit and all sports have their pundits to provide ‘expert’ insight to decisions made by officials and players/participants. Don’t we want expert pundits in our game? We do have a lot of so called experts who were only players pontificating on the laws when quite often (as shown on this forum) they haven’t got a clue what they are talking about. When they are talking about play making decisions and the action/skills of players I think we accept to a greater degree their opinion. Having an ‘expert’ referee giving his opinion can’t be a bad thing can it? He will be learning his trade and has to be careful that he doesn’t use ‘I wouldn’t/would have done that’ etc too much. Geoff Boycott comes to mind in this respect.
    I think it's a wider question.

Rugby has always prided itself on the respect shown to referees and if you have former referees openly saying current referees are wrong then there is a risk of eroding that.

That's not to say there's no place for former referees as pundits, but a bit of a more measured approach: "this is what the referee's looking for" "this is why he gave the decision he did", that sort of thing.

Or better still "No Jerry, that's not what the law says".

Granted it's hard when they've made a howler.
    Last edited by DocY; 01-03-21 at 10:03.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    We do have them. ie player pundits.

it doesn't make their opinions any more worthwhile.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    I think it's a wider question.

Rugby has always prided itself on the respect shown to referees and if you have former referees openly saying current referees are wrong then there is a risk of eroding that.

That's not to say there's no place for former referees as pundits, but a bit of a more measured approach: "this is what the referee's looking for" "this is why he gave the decision he did", that sort of thing.

Or better still "No Jerry, that's not what the law says".

Granted it's hard when they've made a howler.
    Fair point and that is why I said ‘early days’. We’ve not had a regular expert ref pundit before so it’s a learning curve for all of us.

Thread Information