Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bath Vs Wasps 8.1.21

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London
    Grade
    New/Ungraded

Default Bath Vs Wasps 8.1.21

Have just watched a recording of last nights game (Friday). At 15.30 (game time) Wasps have an attacking line-out 5Mts out, ball is thrown in, maul formed, and while the referee, Matt Carley, is keeping the defence back two attackers No's 12 and 14 join the maul. Additional weight helps the maul move toward the try line. Maul collapsed, penalty try given and Bath player sent to bin.
    My question concerns the two backs joining the maul, their addition weight/power must have been instrumental in the forward motion Wasps gained, but their joining was illegal. this lead to an incorrect penalty try and yellow card,
    Comments from those involved at higher levels of the game appreciated.
    Last edited by oldman; 09-01-21 at 11:01.

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Bath Vs Wasps 8.1.21

Can you post link to video.
    You say ref was"keeping the defence back"... are you sure he was keeping the back line back or was he signalling to the hindmost foot of the maul?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Don’t need to see the video, happens regularly at the top level and always ignored
    Ciaran Trainor

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    Don’t need to see the video, happens regularly at the top level and always ignored
    Great .....that's sorted so.
    No need for any further dialogue or opinions! !
    Well done.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

there used to be a clear convention : ref holds his arm up vertically until the lineout is over. It was a god convention, clear and the raised arm visible to all players.

I've noticed that elite refs don't do that so much, either giving no signal at all or sometimes holding both arms out horizontally, which is not so easy to see.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    RAFRURS
    Grade
    Level 10

MC seemed to battle with encroaching back lines all evening, as did several other refs over the weekend.

Aren't the Asst Refs supposed to help with that?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    there used to be a clear convention : ref holds his arm up vertically until the lineout is over. It was a god convention, clear and the raised arm visible to all players.

I've noticed that elite refs don't do that so much, either giving no signal at all or sometimes holding both arms out horizontally, which is not so easy to see.
    I’ve actually been given guidance by an assessor not to do this, ie only put an arm up if a Maul forms, which I can understand, but my thought was that a positive indication by me that’s consistent helps everyone, maul or not (eg inside 5, gone 15 etc) and potentially helps my thought processes.

This got revisited when I reffed a few games under the Covid variations and no mauls, but found back lines coming up fast from line outs and closing the space changed the game a lot so I started raising my arm again so they knew - seemed to work, so might ignore the assessor :-)

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

To me the ghorizontal arms thing is to indicate a back-foot-of-the-maul/ruck ...
    didds

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

[...]
    I am not sure it had that imprimatur, but it was certainly what I advised. However I did not insist if the ref made things clear anyway.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    To me the ghorizontal arms thing is to indicate a back-foot-of-the-maul/ruck ...
    didds
    There are two different 'horizontal arms things'.....it depends on the angle /position of the referee ie if the ref is facing the touchline and the horizontal arms are pointing towards both backlines then it is being used to signal a '10m hold' whereas obviously if the ref is facing a defensive line at a maul the horizontal arms are meant to signal 'stay on hindmost '.

Video of the OP scenario could clarify.

Thread Information