Thread: Dropping out of the line

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 7

Default Dropping out of the line

Is it just me do refs not ping this any more?
    Attached Images

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

Default Re: Dropping out of the line

I have been raising this point for a few years and the general response I get is ‘we’ve got more important things to look at and consider’.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    I have been raising this point for a few years and the general response I get is ‘we’ve got more important things to look at and consider’.
    Particularly when changing positions (18.17a) and peeling (to receive the ball, 18.28) are permitted; it is not as though every change in the straight lines is liable to penalty.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NP Performance Reviewer

[QUOTE=chbg;373639]Particularly when changing positions (18.17a) and peeling (to receive the ball, 18.28) are permitted; it is not as though every change in the straight lines is liable to penalty.[/QUOT

If they complied wuth 18.17a and 18.28 there’d be no priblem. What we are seeing a lot of is jumping out and not changing place. Partial peeling but not continuing to move etc, and generally a pod of players waiting for the lifting pod to let the catcher come down.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    The very philosophy that made scrums what they are today
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8

[QUOTE=Balones;373643]
    Quote Originally Posted by chbg View Post
    Particularly when changing positions (18.17a) and peeling (to receive the ball, 18.28) are permitted; it is not as though every change in the straight lines is liable to penalty.[/QUOT

If they complied wuth 18.17a and 18.28 there’d be no priblem. What we are seeing a lot of is jumping out and not changing place. Partial peeling but not continuing to move etc, and generally a pod of players waiting for the lifting pod to let the catcher come down.
    My point is that it is simpler to penalise when it is easy to discriminate between actions. It is not possible to tell whether a step out of the line is permitted or not as that step is made. It is the whole action that has to be considered, thus requiring attention, which many referees assess to be more profitably applied elsewhere.
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Thread Information