Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 nations moving to Pay per view, thoughts

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Default 6 nations moving to Pay per view, thoughts

Seen a few articles relating to the six nations moving off terrestrial TV and moving to pay per view.
    Is it amazon? sky, BT...something else?
    Anyway my thoughts are this will be bad news for the grass roots of the game.
    I don't have any of these packages so rarely see England games or any other first class rugby.

The six nations is a massive window into our sport and moving to pay per view will only reduce interest.

Even up here in RL land I regularly get comments like oh I hate RU but always watch the six nations.

It will be a disaster for many clubhouses once we reopen.
    The six nations was always a big deal at my club, often former players and acquaintances would turn up just for the craic beer would flow and a good time had by all. There always seemed to be a token Welshman turning up who nobody really knew;-) but all part of the fun.
    My club only has BT sport and after this shitshow of a year may not be able to afford that now.

I've always been interested in most sports since childhood. but rarely see any now as they've all moved to pay TV.
    I know it's all about money these days but I'll miss the six nations.
    Ciaran Trainor

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Default Re: 6 nations moving to Pay per view, thoughts

Rugby needs more followers, fans, interested parties - certainly in England where we are a minority sport - more viewers creates more interest, bolsters the numbers in the game, and potentially increases the revenue stream long term - I fear that a short term view will take us in the opposite direction. I will cough up regardless, as will many loyal rugby nuts, my mum however who only watches the big internationals and the Lions won’t, and her interest and many similar fans will drift away :-(

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

covid has changed everything - they just need to make money

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

I think Crossref is correct, money will drive this and the counter arguements of greater exposure will largely be lost. To be honest club rugby has all but disappeared behind a pay wall (with the exception of the odd live game and the Channel 5 occasional highlights). I just look at the damage done to participation and visibility of cricket years ago by taking the same decision. Rugby needs to be very careful with decisions it makes now, we have a triangle of participation with a huge base of mini and youth players feeding into adult rugby but we know participation amongst adults is dropping. Reducing visibility and in time the base of the triangle will further damage the game at adult levels.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    covid has changed everything - they just need to make money
    Who's they? The RFU, so the international team and the premiership in England, as the money that 'they' make has little benefit to anyone below L1 now - and most of the decisions affecting that are not Covid related. As has been demonstrated this weekend in the Championship there're next to no support (No Grants, only Loans with no income to repay it and an increase in costs of £80k per month for testing, again no support towards this)

The International and L1 teams have *some* mechanism to earn revenue *and* are getting government and RFU support , L2 and below do not, our future is a numbers game, people not being able to watch rugby doesn't help that

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

it's a conundrum, isn't it ... and covid has made it much harder.

revenue comes from
    - ticket sales
    - hospitality
    - TV
    - sponsorship

Covid has removed the first two for all of 2020 and - quite possibly - for all of 2021 as well.
    It's understandable if the 6N look to the other two

and then short term v long term ... take the money or maximise the participation ?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Call me cynical, but I think if we go pay TV now, they’ll like the income and we won’t go back

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Call me cynical, but I think if we go pay TV now, they’ll like the income and we won’t go back
    but if they don't go pay tv - they may go bankrupt. ...

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

... amnd if the NGBs and WR go bankrupt... there'll still be "jumpers for goalposts" somewhere I'll wager... ?

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6

I agree with Flish and ctrainor on this.
    Cricket is but a novelty sport for most people these days.
    There is no visibility of Pro14 now it has gone to Premier Sport.
    I wonder if the sponsorship revenue will reduce when fewer people are watching the games.

As ever, the blazers at Twickenham driving the agenda through their own financial self-interest. Seems they have screwed up big time over the past two years on managing their funds and now they want to commit harakiri and bring everyone else down with them. Life just gets better and better................
    Keep smiling!

Thread Information