Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 nations moving to Pay per view, thoughts

Default Re: 6 nations moving to Pay per view, thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    I agree with Flish and ctrainor on this.
    Cricket is but a novelty sport for most people these days.
    There is no visibility of Pro14 now it has gone to Premier Sport.
    I wonder if the sponsorship revenue will reduce when fewer people are watching the games.

As ever, the blazers at Twickenham driving the agenda through their own financial self-interest. Seems they have screwed up big time over the past two years on managing their funds and now they want to commit harakiri and bring everyone else down with them. Life just gets better and better................
    Completely agree - but it ignores the reality that there's bill to be paid. Of course free to air would be great, but if that bankrupts the Union(s) that doesn't work.

No easy answer.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I agree with Flish and ctrainor on this.
    Cricket is but a novelty sport for most people these days.
    There is no visibility of Pro14 now it has gone to Premier Sport.
    I wonder if the sponsorship revenue will reduce when fewer people are watching the games.

As ever, the blazers at Twickenham driving the agenda through their own financial self-interest. Seems they have screwed up big time over the past two years on managing their funds and now they want to commit harakiri and bring everyone else down with them. Life just gets better and better................
    you don't even mention the impact of covid... what differnce does that make?

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    you don't even mention the impact of covid... what differnce does that make?
    Immediate gain resulting in long term demise of the game.
    Keep smiling!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Immediate gain resulting in long term demise of the game.
    or perhaps covid is the case of short and long term damage to the game.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS

My (selfish) concern is that this will result in top-level rugby being shoved behind an even bigger paywall elsewhere.

NBC Sports is going away at the end of this year, and was *the* channel for me to watch any professional rugby during the shutdown and indoctrinate the little one (whenever there is NFL on, she keeps saying "rugby"). MLR was on a different channel, but we're still a ways off from that coming back in any meaningful form.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
    My (selfish) concern is that this will result in top-level rugby being shoved behind an even bigger paywall elsewhere.

NBC Sports is going away at the end of this year, and was *the* channel for me to watch any professional rugby during the shutdown and indoctrinate the little one (whenever there is NFL on, she keeps saying "rugby"). MLR was on a different channel, but we're still a ways off from that coming back in any meaningful form.
    In the US there is lots of rugby (Pro 14, Super Rugby, Rugby Championship) on ESPN+ ($5/month), for me it's "the" channel for rugby and I also enjoy the MMA fighting content as well.
    MLR season is set to start March 20th, some matches were on ESPN+ in the past.
    NBC Sports is transferring their licensing agreements to USA Network, they have the 6 Nations (delayed replays), and 1 or 2 Premiership matches per week. The NBC Sports Gold, which gave live 6 Nations and all access to live and replay Premiership is ceasing to exist, and that content will be available on NBC's new Peacock App Premium ($5/month).

Rugby has mostly been behind a paywall in the US, which I always thought was a determent to growth.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    In the US there is lots of rugby (Pro 14, Super Rugby, Rugby Championship) on ESPN+ ($5/month), for me it's "the" channel for rugby and I also enjoy the MMA fighting content as well.
    MLR season is set to start March 20th, some matches were on ESPN+ in the past.
    NBC Sports is transferring their licensing agreements to USA Network, they have the 6 Nations (delayed replays), and 1 or 2 Premiership matches per week. The NBC Sports Gold, which gave live 6 Nations and all access to live and replay Premiership is ceasing to exist, and that content will be available on NBC's new Peacock App Premium ($5/month).

Rugby has mostly been behind a paywall in the US, which I always thought was a determent to growth.
    Agree wholeheartedly about the paywalls (**** Flo in particular) being a huge barrier to the growth of the game in the US.

For me, most of the MLR games came through via CBS Sports. Being able to DVR a wide swath of games (even if they were delayed replays) was a major boon.

I'm not going to shell out for a separate streaming package (I have Amazon, but the streaming service is an ancillary boon), I just hope that USA Network doesn't bungle it.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

Covid + Head injury / concussion / dementia links + Paywall .
    Even if, like me, you are a lifelong devotee of Rugby Union, would you want your (grand)son / daughter to play the game?
    Would they even be interested.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Id let it be there choice and if they chose to do so id worry and be proud etc.

Same if they got on a horse. Or a mortor cycle. Or downhill cycling. Or free basing. Or extreme ironing.

they copuld of course sit on their bottom all day and do video games and watch endless tiktok videos. Then i'd worry about diabetes and heart disease.

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Id let it be there choice and if they chose to do so id worry and be proud etc.

Same if they got on a horse. Or a mortor cycle. Or downhill cycling. Or free basing. Or extreme ironing.

they copuld of course sit on their bottom all day and do video games and watch endless tiktok videos. Then i'd worry about diabetes and heart disease.

didds
    I'm certainly not advocating doing nothing. But, in my school and senior playing days, compared with modern-day players at most levels, we weren't as fit, we weren't as big or ripped and, admit it, we weren't as good. The game is so much faster and more physical. The risks are so much greater.

Thread Information