Thread: recruiting new referees

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Default recruiting new referees

Hi all,

I've recently taken on a new role in my Society focusing on recruiting youngsters to take up the whistle.

I'd be interested in hearing of any experiences, innovations, processes, what's worked/hasn't worked, etc from the hive (i.e. you lot).

I'll be happy to share back anything from this end.

Cheers.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: recruiting new referees

Good stuff....

(You're showing your age!)

I'm in a similar situation.

Not sure where to start but I think it's an admirable intention!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Central Australian Rugby Referees
    Grade
    B3

Recruiting in groups- we found yunger refs who came together in a group helped them stick. One younger ref in a larger older community may find it easier to quit.

Get wise to the social media maaaaaaan. Apparently ver yoof are using all these apps that we perhaps might not be. It helps with recruitment and with staying in touch.

And be prepared to accept that sometimes the kids may not show the same levels of commitment that older refs do.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    NLMOT PR

As well as having an ‘elder’ to mentor and bring on new refs, try to engage a younger member of the society to buddy up with them.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

social media

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

Get the local teams where the youngster has her/his early games to buy in and be encouraging rather than taking advantage of inexperience.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

you actually need to break this down into two separate questions (as they have different answers)

1 - recruitment : getting them into the society and reffing a game
    2 - retention : making sure they are still there a year on

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing of any experiences, innovations, processes, what's worked/hasn't worked, etc from the hive (i.e. you lot).

The offer of a free lobotomy got me signed up.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    CARFU RS

Get buy-in and input from coaches that the referee pool holds in high regard.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Hi all,

I've recently taken on a new role in my Society focusing on recruiting youngsters to take up the whistle.

I'll be happy to share back anything from this end.

Cheers.
    Hi DickieE

Just north of you, we've found the clubs taking a lead to encouraging and working with the union/RA to hold courses the better way to recruit. Here the schools seems to be a bit more driven to get that to happen, maybe because it's a captive audience, and the kids can also get "community service" credits??? Community clubs just don't seem to generate the junior refs here? But then again they dont do much to encourage their kids to ref - I think they're just happy to have them turn up to play so don't think they think they should or could do both?. Free sh!t helps too - ie RA ref kit etc. (Get Rebels to ante up and give you stuff to give away too).

I found once you have them after the course then you need to follow them up. Make contact with them to get them to sign up to the association and be available to appoint. The courses are not very good to tell them what they have to do next to actually get onto their first game.
    I found running practical training sessions with a group of them during team trials/gradings (intra or inter club games too) is a great way to engage them to have a go at doing the real thing.
    If you can get the cattle, then trying to have a RC or senior/experienced referee at the kids first game regardless of what age group for tips and morale support is also useful (they need to know they are going ok). Talk the the kid with the parent there listening - it's great how many parents will engage and help their kids in the first few weeks (especially the ex playing parents).

I also found a monthly news letter that highlighted 2 or 3 particular point (focus law or local issue) helped too.

Good luck with it.

The worst thing you can do is to not make any contact with them or never send an RC just cause it's u8/9/ or 10s. If they dont feel they have some support or guidance they will give it away.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Thread Information