Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Superbowl - advantage question.

      
  1. #1
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Posts
    1,512

    Default Superbowl - advantage question.

    In Superbowl LV Tampa Bay were attempting a field goal when Kansas City gave away a penalty. After the flag was thrown -so effectively while plying advantage - the kick was good.

    Tampa Bay decided to turn down the score and accept the penalty which gave them a first down. This meant they retaind possession and they went on to score a touch down.

    So i wondered, could a rugby side do the equivalent, could they turn down a drop goal in order to take a penalty in order to attempt to score a try - or would the successful kick always stand.

    I think the latter.

  2. #2

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    10,384

    Default Re: Superbowl - advantage question.

    Not quite following your thread here - what drop goal would they be spurning? One they made in open play and the PK became apparent AFTERWARDS? Im not aware of any law or protocol that would afford that?

  3. #3
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Superbowl - advantage question.

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Not quite following your thread here - what drop goal would they be spurning? One they made in open play and the PK became apparent AFTERWARDS? Im not aware of any law or protocol that would afford that?
    The scenario I believe would be...

    Referee calls advantage Red....Red 10 has a drop at goal and scores..
    Red Captain then asks Ref to go back for the penalty advantage as they need to score a try and the DG is no good to them.

    Can Ref facilitate this request or has the DG ended advantage?

  4. #4
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    2,074

    Default Re: Superbowl - advantage question.

    No for me. Player chose to drop kick and was successful if he wanted the penalty turn down the advantage in the first place.

  5. #5

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    19,021

    Default Re: Superbowl - advantage question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    The scenario I believe would be...

    Referee calls advantage Red....Red 10 has a drop at goal and scores..
    Red Captain then asks Ref to go back for the penalty advantage as they need to score a try and the DG is no good to them.

    Can Ref facilitate this request or has the DG ended advantage?
    perhaps if the ref had just told them they needed three points to win, and then realised he had made a mistake and they needed 5.
    otherwise I think no

  6. #6

    ELRA/Club Referee


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    08 Nov 18
    Posts
    226

    Default Re: Superbowl - advantage question.

    How about if the player who, in the act of scoring a drop goal, was charged late so that if he had missed the referee would have come back for the penalty. Can the scoring side refuse the successful drop goal and come back for the penalty in the hope of scoring a try. Scenario wise it wouldnt be too difficult to think of a reason for prefering this to deny or obtain more bonus points.

  7. #7
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Superbowl - advantage question.

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    perhaps if the ref had just told them they needed three points to win, and then realised he had made a mistake and they needed 5.
    otherwise I think no
    If the referee can facilitate the request in this scenario then surely they can facilitate in any scenario ie a simple request.

    Personally I think I would facilitate and go back similar to options in other scenarios ...penalty here or scrum there etc

  8. #8
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    2,074

    Default Re: Superbowl - advantage question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    How about if the player who, in the act of scoring a drop goal, was charged late so that if he had missed the referee would have come back for the penalty. Can the scoring side refuse the successful drop goal and come back for the penalty in the hope of scoring a try. Scenario wise it wouldnt be too difficult to think of a reason for prefering this to deny or obtain more bonus points.
    I'd still say no the score is advantage gained. Of course, the foul play may have occured "after the score" meaning a PK restart.

  9. #9
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    2,074

    Default Re: Superbowl - advantage question.

    Look at it this way if we are playing advantage a score = advantage over. Why change that here?

  10. #10

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    10,384

    Default Re: Superbowl - advantage question.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    The scenario I believe would be...

    Referee calls advantage Red....Red 10 has a drop at goal and scores..
    Red Captain then asks Ref to go back for the penalty advantage as they need to score a try and the DG is no good to them.

    Can Ref facilitate this request or has the DG ended advantage?
    you guys will have a definitive answer but maybe the solution would have been for #10 to not drop the goal in the first place, even if it required red captain shouting at him.
    Last edited by didds; 09-02-21 at 14:02.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •