Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Farrell Late Hit v Italy

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    None

Default Re: Farrell Late Hit v Italy

Thanks. I am glad to see at least a few people agree with me. It was CLEARLY foul play, not a head clash, and not a yellow card, but a definite penalty and no try. As I said in the OP, if it had been a grizzled Argentinian prop that done it ....

This thread has brought up another bugbear from the past. Over the weekend, I saw Kyle Sinckler, as he often does, take a small jump in the air as he caught a pass. He was tackled, and no one batted an eyelid. Go back to the famous Lions game in NZ, second test, when he did the same to catch a slightly high Murray pass, got tackled by the AB prop, and the ref gave a penalty that seemed to me at the time to be ludicrous ... which won the match for the Lions. First of all, the no tackle in the air rule was designed to protect players collecting kicks, not players who went six inches off the ground to catch a slightly errant pass (and as I say, with Sinckler it seems to be a habit even with non-errant passes), and secondly, if this “law” was observed, it would be impossible to stop any player from scoring from a yard out. All they’d have to do is jump into the air to catch the pass, and it would either be illegal to tackle, or a penalty try if you did. Or am I missing something? I am not a ref ....

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by dfobrien View Post
    Over the weekend, I saw Kyle Sinckler, as he often does, take a small jump in the air as he caught a pass. He was tackled, and no one batted an eyelid. Go back to the famous Lions game in NZ, second test, when he did the same to catch a slightly high Murray pass, got tackled by the AB prop, and the ref gave a penalty that seemed to me at the time to be ludicrous ... which won the match for the Lions. First of all, the no tackle in the air rule was designed to protect players collecting kicks, not players who went six inches off the ground to catch a slightly errant pass (and as I say, with Sinckler it seems to be a habit even with non-errant passes), and secondly, if this “law” was observed, it would be impossible to stop any player from scoring from a yard out. All they’d have to do is jump into the air to catch the pass, and it would either be illegal to tackle, or a penalty try if you did. Or am I missing something? I am not a ref ....
    as was oft debated at the time. Watch the Ire v Fra game - (think it was that one?) somebody jumped to catch a ball that had already boiunced - and won a pk for beign tackled in the air. was the law/reg/interpretation/ruling intended for that scenario?

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by dfobrien View Post
    Thanks. I am glad to see at least a few people agree with me. It was CLEARLY foul play, not a head clash, and not a yellow card, but a definite penalty and no try. As I said in the OP, if it had been a grizzled Argentinian prop that done it ....

This thread has brought up another bugbear from the past. Over the weekend, I saw Kyle Sinckler, as he often does, take a small jump in the air as he caught a pass. He was tackled, and no one batted an eyelid. Go back to the famous Lions game in NZ, second test, when he did the same to catch a slightly high Murray pass, got tackled by the AB prop, and the ref gave a penalty that seemed to me at the time to be ludicrous ... which won the match for the Lions. First of all, the no tackle in the air rule was designed to protect players collecting kicks, not players who went six inches off the ground to catch a slightly errant pass (and as I say, with Sinckler it seems to be a habit even with non-errant passes), and secondly, if this “law” was observed, it would be impossible to stop any player from scoring from a yard out. All they’d have to do is jump into the air to catch the pass, and it would either be illegal to tackle, or a penalty try if you did. Or am I missing something? I am not a ref ....
    you are missing nothing, it was a problematic call

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    -

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    as was oft debated at the time. Watch the Ire v Fra game - (think it was that one?) somebody jumped to catch a ball that had already boiunced - and won a pk for beign tackled in the air. was the law/reg/interpretation/ruling intended for that scenario?

didds
    Are you sure it was a penalty? I saw one this weekend and think it was Ire v Fra, pretty sure a Fra player jumped, and ref said play on (which I thought a fair call).
    Last edited by Treadmore; 2 Weeks Ago at 20:02.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Treadmore View Post
    Are sure it was a penalty? I saw one this weekend and think it was Ire v Fra, pretty a Fra player jumped, and ref said play on (which I thought a fair call).
    jumping into a tackle (fair game to tackle) v jumping to catch a ball (not) ??????

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

I thouht it was. maybe i have the worng game? Cant say I CBA to watch the entire game again to try and find it - LOL

Soc/Assoc
    Dorchester
    Grade
    -

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I thouht it was. maybe i have the worng game? Cant say I CBA to watch the entire game again to try and find it - LOL
    I found it, around 73:05 on the TV match time. Ref says "jumping into the tackle, play on"

https://youtu.be/OCe_RyqDR-8

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

You can't ping Jonny May for jumping on the basis he might be flipped and land on his head; 9.11 only applies to recklessly endangering *other players*. If you're going to protect players from putting themselves in harm's way then you might as well blow up poor tackle technique, being lifted in the lineout, jackalling...

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    If you're going to protect players from putting themselves in harm's way then you might as well blow up poor tackle technique, being lifted in the lineout, jackalling...
    well that would see halpenny RC after two attempts by him to tackle then. Indeed.

Thread Information