Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Farrell Late Hit v Italy

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    None

Default Farrell Late Hit v Italy

I thought Mike Adamson had a very poor match today in England v Italy. Obviously it didn’t make any difference to the result ... but he missed several knock-ons by England (one of which indirectly led to a score), missed illegal clear-outs by both teams, and gave an imaginary knock-on against Italy in an attacking position under the English posts. And how he and the collective brains trust (although he seemed to take the lead in the conversation) decided that Farrell’s late (and cheap) hit in the lead up to Watson’s intercept try was NOT foul play is mystifying. If it had been done by an Italian, or worse still, an Argentinian, they’d have been marching back eighty yards sharpish for a penalty to the opponents, I’d wager.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Default Re: Farrell Late Hit v Italy

See, for me I saw blue run into white who tipped his head back slightly to avoid more significant contact, no arms wrapping or anything resembling a tackle, he was just there to tackle, but didn’t as the ball had gone

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2

Bad: there were knock-ons and forward passes missed on both sides, and some foul play missed (a seatbelt tackle by Itoje, and the Italian clearout that blew the England flanker's knee). The first England try was arguably KO followed by double-movement. The first Italian try arguably forward. There didn't seem to be much communication with TMO at all.

Good: Umm... nice to see that sealing off and pre-pushing in the scrum were penalised.

I couldn't honestly see the Farrell incident as anything even approaching illegal. Blue offloaded a step before contact, it was chest to shoulder, the arm wasn't tucked. I know he's an unpopular figure, but you can't just give a penalty on the basis of "it's Farrell and I don't like him".

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    ex-Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10

Can't find it in the current LoTG but I thought it was illegal to jump into a tackle. Was Jonny May jumping or was it a (v. fancy) dive for the line to score his try in the corner. Once he was in the air it would have been illegal for an opponent to tackle him, so there was no way of defending the move.
    BTW, I thought it marginal but Farrell v 9 was a 'racing incident'.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

It’s not illegal to jump, it is to do anything dangerous, which means we can’t take preventative steps only penalise outcome. Often get a cry from would be tacklers of ‘what can we do’, not sure it’s equitable, but there it is

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    I know he's an unpopular figure, but you can't just give a penalty on the basis of "it's Farrell and I don't like him".
    Are you sure?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    Are you sure?
    facebook says you can ��

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2

I thought so.

Referees in Holland

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 2

Interestingly, Jim Hamilton tweeted that it was illegal and Sir Nige agreed with him. Hmmmmm.

I do agree with your analysis though. If the jumping causes some kind of damage to the would-be tackler, penalise it. If not, it's a hard sell.

A follow up question, if jumping out of a tackle causes the ball-carrier to flip over the would-be tackler and land on his head...🤷*♂️

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Well I once had a scenario at a ruck where a Red player lifted an opposing Blue players leg slightly off the ground.
    The Blue player jumped to try and free himself and ended up flipping himself over and landing on his head.
    Howls from the pitch and the stand at the 'Spear tackle'. Stopped play for safety and restarted with a scrum.
    There was uproar from the spectators and while the 'spear tackled' player readily agreed that it was a correct call I was still questioned about it after the game.
    Would have been far easier penalise what looked like an offence.

Thread Information