Thread: Jumping or Diving Clarification required

ELRA/Club Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Jumping or Diving Clarification required

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    as far as I can make out this "you can't jump over a tackle" is in the same category as "you have to let him up". Unless there is some RFU edict that I'm missing. I've never seen anything from WR.

Yes, dangerous play is illegal ... but each incident will be managed on its own merit.
    Just this in spades. Considerable portions of rugby law are subjective. On any given day I could probably be persuaded that May's try was a dive or a jump but I'd be consistent in not considering it dangerous play.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by Jz558 View Post
    Just this in spades. Considerable portions of rugby law are subjective. On any given day I could probably be persuaded that May's try was a dive or a jump but I'd be consistent in not considering it dangerous play.
    neither did I really - and yet his boot ddi seem to clip the tacklers head, so perhaps it was.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

as far as I can make out this "you can't jump over a tackle" is in the same category as "you have to let him up". Unless there is some RFU edict that I'm missing. I've never seen anything from WR.

Yes, dangerous play is illegal ... but each incident will be managed on its own merit.
    This. 100%.

for if nothing else jumping to avoid a tackle form behind has a very very very very very low risk of dangerous play involved.
    Jumping to avoid a tackle from right in front ie head on has a very very very very very high risk of dangerous play involved.

As the defender moves in that 180 degree arc from dead in front to totally behind that risk factor and dangerous play elelment changes constantly.

WR fraffs about with so many laws trying to create perfection that end up creating MORE issues lets leave this to a ref's decsion and if one ref one week has a different view than next week's ref ... that's the rub. Cos otherwise you are going to see a red card for somebody jumping/diving that catches a defender that at best will only tackle a calf from behind as the player scores anyway.
    Last edited by didds; 16-02-21 at 11:02.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

Good debate.
    So are we clear, a player in possession diving or jumping for the line can be tackled in the air?
    But what if that tackle or attempt results in an injury or a player landing on their head?
    Ciaran Trainor

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    Good debate.
    So are we clear, a player in possession diving or jumping for the line can be tackled in the air?
    But what if that tackle or attempt results in an injury or a player landing on their head?
    No, because that is specifically forbidden under 9.17, even before you consider reckless play - but then I think you knew that :-) Not particularly fair is it, not for us to make things up to even it out though, there are other areas of play that are unfair on the defender too (pick and go on the try line and avoiding head / neck contact for example).

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    to the letter of law, no.

in reality, yes.

Things are dealt with a little bit differently when try scoring is involved.

Consider a tackle inches from the line. Would we require the tackler to roll away so that the ball carrier can reach out to score?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade

The law examples in the good book show videos of players jumping to catch a kick which is what the law was for, not jumping for other reasons.
    I agree with your interpretation Dickie E but I'd like to see world rugby clarify it to protect decisions made by Officals.
    Ciaran Trainor

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

[...]

Consider a tackle inches from the line. Would we require the tackler to roll away so that the ball carrier can reach out to score?
    That is my "Mexican Stand-off" situation. I recommend a quick whistle and a 5-metre attacking scrum.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    That is my "Mexican Stand-off" situation. I recommend a quick whistle and a 5-metre attacking scrum.
    I'd be looking for the tackler to release to allow ball to be recycled, but not roll away. In the messiness of this goal line scenario, a quick whistle would not be inappropriate.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

I'd be looking for the tackler to release to allow ball to be recycled, but not roll away. In the messiness of this goal line scenario, a quick whistle would not be inappropriate.
    If the tackle is preventing the ball carrier from reaching out to score, then forcing the tackler to release is demanding that he gives away a score - which seems inequitable.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Thread Information