Thread: Jumping or Diving Clarification required

Coach/Referee

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade

Default Re: Jumping or Diving Clarification required

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    If the tackle is preventing the ball carrier from reaching out to score, then forcing the tackler to release is demanding that he gives away a score - which seems inequitable.
    Really?
    So you propose refereeing the game differently depending on how close the play is to the goal line!
    I know this has been discussed previously but for me a tackle 20m out is the same as a tackle half meter out!
    Similarly a penalty in the 1st min is the same as a penalty 'under the sticks' in the last!

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    Really?
    So you propose refereeing the game differently depending on how close the play is to the goal line!
    I know this has been discussed previously but for me a tackle 20m out is the same as a tackle half meter out!
    Similarly a penalty in the 1st min is the same as a penalty 'under the sticks' in the last!
    I think your view is inappropriately legalistic, and shows no empathy for the game.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I think a typical dive to score is a low trajectory .. avoiding a tackle by going low
    May was different , he dived over a tackler

Don't ask me whether it was legal or not .. am so confused now I don't know !
    Indeed this wasn't typical, it was extraordinary.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    Good debate.
    So are we clear, a player in possession diving or jumping for the line can be tackled in the air?
    But what if that tackle or attempt results in an injury or a player landing on their head?
    I concur. I think 9.17 is only meant to be used when players have jumped to gain/compete for possession of the ball and not for ball carriers that are already in possession of the ball. Players running often have both feet off the ground. We don't want to create a situation where jumping makes a player impervious to being tackled. In the OP scenario the defender makes contact with May who's feet were off the ground even though the tackle wasn't completed, and saw no mention from the team of referees, no admonishment, no YC, no PT.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    I concur. I think 9.17 is only meant to be used when players have jumped to gain/compete for possession of the ball and not for ball carriers that are already in possession of the ball. Players running often have both feet off the ground. We don't want to create a situation where jumping makes a player impervious to being tackled. In the OP scenario the defender makes contact with May who's feet were off the ground even though the tackle wasn't completed, and saw no mention from the team of referees, no admonishment, no YC, no PT.
    The possibility that May was engaged in dangerous play didn't seem to even occur to them. That really surprised me,

to be clear - I am happy for them to judge that May wasn't dangerous, to me that's a reasonable view. But I was surprised they didn't even (seem to) consider it, especially as boot did seem to hit head. Surely whenever boot meets head, the officials should consider whether there was foul play or not.

The basic actions of hurdling a tackler and diving for the line are different. The former raises a distinct likelihood of boot meeting head when they are travelling in different directions. The latter does not.
    This 100% - a dive for the line takes the quickest route between two points, possibly lower. May's hurdle was straight out of the NFL, where there aren't issues hitting people in the head or taking them out in the air.

As to whether it being illegal depends on contact, if I see a player lash out a leg trying for a trip and missing, he's still going to the bin. I'd say level of sanction depends on contact.

In fairness, I'd also ping him for his little skips when dodging players in open play, but I happen to think any jumping to avoid a tackle is unfair, potentially dangerous and not something we want kids to be replicating.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Surely whenever boot meets head, the officials should consider whether there was foul play or not.
    I remember Gregan tackling Lomu by holding on to his lower leg. If the foot had hit Gregan's head, would it have been appropriate to consider foul play by Lomu?!
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots

I remember Gregan tackling Lomu by holding on to his lower leg. If the foot had hit Gregan's head, would it have been appropriate to consider foul play by Lomu?!
    consider for half a second, and reject yes

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Quebec Society of Rugby Referees
    Grade
    Select Grade

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach

Quote Originally Posted by buff View Post
    except that doesnt actually adress what May did - unless we simply accept that any aerial route to the try line is a dive no matter what it looks like.

That aside the Italian defender wasnt in the position that Captain America is in. He was behind and to the side.

So the video is not really any help whatsoever...

Thread Information